Dimmer Switch Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear forum,

I want to change the faceplate of this push button Lutron dimmer switch to a standard. I am unfamiliar with the lettering/symbols of the current one:

8.jpg

9.jpg

So it has L, 1 and a symbol which I know is the comm symbol (live feed). The one I want to swap it for has what every other light fitting I have used has which is L1, L2 and Comm. So I'm guessing L and 1 are L1 and L2 but which is which please?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
If used as 2 way then on the new switch L1 and L2 are interchangeble, it does not matter what way round they are if the third is marked com.
That so called funny symbol actually means Variable output, Ie the switched Live to the light when used as 1 way, with 2way would sometimes be the feed in similar to the Com.
Was the lutron used as 2 way

If used as 2 way then on the new switch L1 and L2 are interchangeble, it does not matter what way round they are if the third is marked com.
That so called funny symbol actually means Variable output, Ie the switched Live to the light when used as 1 way, with 2way would sometimes be the feed in similar to the Com.
Was the lutron used as 2 way
Yes, sorry should have said; it’s a 2 way switch. With it being 2 way the weird symbol goes into the comm on new plate then L and 1 go into L1 and L2 and doesn’t match which way round? Thanks

Also, why are they called L and 1? Never seen this once on switch faceplate?

Sponsored Links
Not sure to be honest, but if it worked as 2 way before, and assuming the other end is a standard 2 way switch then it is has to be the same as L1 and L2.
Personally i would check the other switch at the other point, some dimmers are marked and work different to what your maybe used to and the Lutron may have been part of a slave and master dimming set up.

Ah just noticed you said PUSH DIMMER,.this may well be part of a slave dimmer set up
Could well be
L is live
Squiggly arrow is output
1 is interlink to other switch
If so its not a straightforward swap unfortunately

Ah just noticed you said PUSH DIMMER,.this may well be part of a slave dimmer set up
Could well be
L is live
Squiggly arrow is output
1 is interlink to other switch
If so its not a straightforward swap unfortunately
I found the name of it finally; Lutron Rania. Discontinued now. Here are the wiring instructions. Can you make sense of any of this:

In the kitcehn I have 4 of these. I wanted to change all of them. Two control half the kitchen spot light as a 2-way and the other two the other half as a 2 way.

Looking at the diagram 1 = slave. The Energenie smart switches I use can be used in the same way.

So it will need tracing to see how wired, the 1 or (S) can go to multi slave switches, and it only needs two wires not three, I have seen the switches I use sold as pairs, but never seen the slave for sale without the master.

The energenie are only on/off not dimming, and they need a load to work, I have moved to TP-Link which do not need a load or neutral to work, so I can use with on/off buttons, but as to dimming I have moved to smart bulbs.

The energenie does not show the use of line to S, but yours does show line to 1 to swap the function from on to off etc. I have not come across any other switches using the slave two wire method, I would think only option is to use some smart control as normal hard wiring needs three wires.

I have considered using a blanking plate over the old switch and sticking on the steel back for the push button control to get two way controls, but used Nest Mini's and voice control instead.

They are master and slave, or as they call them dimmer and accesory, note the 1 terminal is just a single strapper.
You have yet to mention what the other part is of the 2 way, dependant what the wires do and how many between the points , its likely the wires can be refigured for normal 2 way dimming

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back