Dimmer switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to wire a simple tungsten household bulb with a dimmer i.e. 3-pin 240v/3A plug - cable - dimmer - cable - bulb holder with bulb. I have a single way dimmer with two connectors. I have connected live to plug, live to dimmer connector, live from other dimmer connection and on to bulb holder. Neutral connected to plug and from plug to bulb holder. When I switch on at the mains the bulb lights but with the dimmer switched \\\'off\\\'. When I switch the dimmer \\\'on\\\' and rotate the switch nothing happens but the bulb stays on. Do I simply have a faulty dimmer or have I made a mistake? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
from what you have typed it sonds right (but no earth, no back box for dimmer, batten holder not fixed) eirther its a naff dimmer or a dimmer thats naff, in that it may be over rated for the lamp, some dimmers have a MINIMUM as well as Maximum load

Sorry, I didn't make it clear what I was trying to achieve. The dimmer has a back box but no earth point - simple, cheap rotary dimmer from Homebase. I want to have a temporary setup for some photography. Hence I have a basic plug to dimmer to bulb setup all mounted on a board but with no potential for an earth connection. I think the dimmer is blown so will return it to the store first. Thanks for the reply

Sponsored Links
Sorry - no bangs, sparks or anything else enjoyable just the bulb lit and stayed lit until power off at the socket. Will try another dimmer from Homebase later - I may even be persuaded to spen an extra pound on a supposedly better one!

ggevans said:
I may even be persuaded to spen an extra pound on a supposedly better one!
Oh, they're better, trust us on that one. Electrics is an area in which things are expensive for a reason - if a brand were needlessly expensive, electricians wouldn't buy them, as it would batter their margins, and the manufacturer would go out of business.

Usually if you find 2 dimmer switches side by side, one £5 dearer than the other, there's a reason why. Quality. One will have a built in fuse to stop it frying on bulb failure. One will have a better dimmer mechanism. One will have better quality electronics inside. One will last much longer. ;) Guess which the electrician will give you? The better one. Because then he wont be called out to you again to replace the switch and have to go through the hassle of returning the old one! ;)

Sorted. Tip - Don't bother with the cheap and nasty! all wired the same and hey presto - dimming lights.

Thanks for all the comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back