Dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok i've got a new lamp £50 for my living room and its 240 v with three 40 what bulbs in it and one switch to switch it on and off with, ive taken out 2 of the bulbs because the lamp is well to bright brighter than the main light in the room.

? is there a place where I can get a dimmer switch so i can put on it insted of the on and off switch thats on it now so that I can lower the power and dim it right down with the other 2 bulbs back in as it looks crap with just the one when it should have three.

ive had a look around the net but can only find ones that go in the wall socket and i no you can get them cuss you can bye lamps with the dimmer switch's on them.

Any help would be good as its doing me head in only having the one bulb instead of the 3.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

You might try and buy lower wattage bulbs. What about 3 x 15W bulbs?That would be cheap and easy.

Cheers M8 as your the only one that as got back on this Thanx.

Iv'e bin down that road M8 and from looking all around it seems as you can only get 25's and that would bring it to 75w for the three and thats no good as the one bulb i have in at the minute is 40w and that could do with going down a bit more.

Bulbs are G9's and thay only go down to 25w no good as i would need 3 at 10w to make 30 and that would be spot on.

Cheers anyway mate ill keep looking.

Sponsored Links
PartyCan said:
Cheers anyway mate ill keep looking.
PartyCan then said:
Why? Its like you asked a question and were getting impatient waiting for an answer. This forum is frequented by volunteers. We aint paid to answer questions. Dont be so impatient. Happen not many folk are about at 12:43am. If you looked on the main forum page, it would have told you this. Its called sleeping, you should try it.

And in-line dimmers are available, try TLC.

I dont sleep, still looking for a dimmer lol.

Stay cool and hang loos you most work to hard chill out man. :D

There dinners are only 2 core and the other one thats 3 core cuts power down 50%, so the three 40's become 120w then 120w becomes 60w.

60w power drop is no good M8 i need to go right down to 40w maybe 30w.

Looks to me as you carnt do it, that is go down from 120 to 40 or 30w.

looks as ill have to stick with the one bulb in it.

Cheers .

PartyCan said:
There dinners are only 2 core and the other one thats 3 core cuts power down 50%, so the three 40's become 120w then 120w becomes 60w.

60w power drop is no good M8 i need to go right down to 40w maybe 30w.
2 core? 3 core? the number of cores doesn't determine what power you get from a cable or dimmer :eek: whatever dimmer you buy, only the live is switched/dimmed. earth and neutral are direct connection. earth is NEVER switched, where it is present.

Where do you get 50% power drop from? AFAICT, they all dim to 0 brightness. for 120w load, you would need the slider one. The touch ones are only rated to 100w.
click for description

@ Crafty ? is that dimmer twin and earth m8 as i carnt find data saying if it is or not.

If so then it would do the job as the lamp on and off switch that im leaving on is 3 core twin & erath not 2 core L/N.

theres a PDF file available on the product page on TLC. Its got the wiring instructions in it. I think you'll be pleased at what you find in that ;)

PartyCan said:
the other one thats 3 core cuts power down 50%, so the three 40's become 120w then 120w becomes 60w.
What??? :?: :?: :?:

Where on earth did you read that?

PartyCan said:
@ Crafty ? is that dimmer twin and earth m8 as i carnt find data saying if it is or not.

If so then it would do the job as the lamp on and off switch that im leaving on is 3 core twin & erath not 2 core L/N.
Please replace the cable at the same time - twin & earth is not suitable, you must use flex.

Most of bin somert else i was reading as iv'e bin looking at lots of dimmers and no sleep lol.

Ok Flex m8 as the wire may get to hot over time if not changed ? can you show me some, it may be flex thats allready on it ( grey T&E )

Cheers.

PartyCan said:
Ok Flex m8
No - M8 is a screw size, not a type or size of flex.

as the wire may get to hot over time if not changed ?
No - it will break.

can you show me some,
If you don't even know what flex is please put everything away and call an electrician.

it may be flex thats allready on it ( grey T&E )
T&E is not flex.

You keep saying it's T&E - how can it be flex?

let me expand on ban's unhelpful ranting

FLEX is 3 cores, all 3 will be insulated, brown, blue and green/yellow.

T+E is 3 cores - TWO are insulated brown and blue, and one will be bare copper and slightly thinner when the outer sheath is stripped. This is then insulated with a bit of green and yellow sheathing.

FLEX is easy to bend and will usually try to regain its original shape

T+E is harder to bend but will keep its shape when bent.

3 core flex is ROUND, T+E is OVAL.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back