Dimmer switches for Australia !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just installed low voltage lighting throughout my house which use electronic transformers. Although it states I can use either leading or trailing edge dimmers I have purches trailing edge ones.
The wiring diagram they come with is as clear as mud and it is impossible to get any info as here you have to be a tradesman to so much as flush the toilet.
The everyday switches here are all two way with loop, common, 1 and 2 all on the back of the switch.
Now do I merely insert the dimmer inline by taking the switched live from terminal 1 and wiring one leg of the dimmer into the switch (1) and the other on to the cable i've just removed ?
Can anyone explain the differences between traling and leading edge ?

Sponsored Links
The types of dimmer differ in how they chop up the ac waveform, one waits for a period of time after the zero crossing before switching the load on, and switches it off at the zero crossing, the other switches it on at the zero crossing then switches it off a short while later. The second type are relativly new, and I beleive are designed to lead to a less noise getting back into the ac supply than the first type, I don't know what switching device they use, but they most certainly could not use triacs (like the first type could), this may lead to them being more expensive

Sponsored Links
Back