Dimmer wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why is it that when my lounge dimmer on 2 way lighting is on and when I put a neon tester on the earth it lights up but does not give any shock.This includes the back box even with the earth disconnected from the switch.Is there a fault

Sponsored Links
You need to test (on low ohms) between the CPC(earth) at the back box and the Main Earthing Terminal near the consumer unit or meter.
It should be less than 1Ω.

The voltage between the permanent live at the switch and earth should be 240 ish.

Sponsored Links
Sounds very much like an open circuit CPC at the switch.

Just done a quick test with meter and longish lead for earth continurity and the earth is open on this room ,the other lights read 3 ohms also sockets are about 2 - 3 ohms.So is that mean theres a missing/broken earth in this room and take it it will need sorting out..

Thanks for the help found out an earth wire had come out at the ceiling junction box, Now I get 240 volts from earth to live which I take is correct

forget that as when I switched the light I think I have blown the dimmer switch as it went pop and triped the lights so by connecting 1 earth back Up I have created another fault.Should there be continurity between newtral and earth

Disconnected all the lives and newtrals in the junction box and connected up just the lounge with a block connector on the switch live and the lounge lights work as they should and all test ok 240 live newtral and earth live.You cant blow things by connecting 2 way lights wrong can you as there are no newtrals. Got 2 more cables disconected now which must go to the other lights in a loop .I take it the fault could be with them

Ok Im hoping its fixed now as Im such a **** i left the yellow strapping wire out which must of touched the earthed back box
which blew the dimmer Still have a cable in the junction box which does nouthing .Oh well costly mistake new dimmer £18

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back