dimming mains voltage halogen bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My lounge has two light fittings installed by the previous owner, each with 3x 50W GU10 halogen bulbs. Both fittings run from a single dimmer switch - the 'push to switch on/off' type.

All fine after we moved in (9 months ago), until recently when one of the bulbs blew ... and so did the dimmer switch. It will now switch the lights on and off, but won't dim them.

Problem is that the combined voltage of the lights is 6x50W = 300W, and I can't locate a dimmer switch that says it can handle more than 250W of halogens.
So, before I bite the bullet and just change the lights for low-voltage ones, I'm just wondering if I have any other options for the switch.

Sponsored Links
i guesss you meant wattage not voltage

there are dimmer packs which can handle that kind of power but they are not cheap and most modern ones are DMX which means you would need a dmx controller

if you can pick up an old dimmer pack with 0-10V imput then you should be able to make a control quite easlly from a wall wart style power adaptor and a potentiometer

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14984&item=3747544839&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW would do nicely but i have no idea how much it will go for

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=12934&item=3838302637&rd=1&ssPageName=WD2V
would also do it if you put one light on each channel but may look a bit bulky ;)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Yes. TLC do a 1000W single gang switch which is derated to 500W for GU10.

Sponsored Links
It's hard to dim low-wattage lamps - needs expensive control gear.

ELV won't fix the problem - 300W is still 300W.

As securespark said, you can easily get a single dimmer to handle that load, or consider using 2 dimmers, as you have 2 lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back