Dimming Halogen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two problems with dimming halogen which confuse me more the more I read.

Problem 1 – Dimming 9 x GU10 bulbs
I have 9 x 50w GU10 halogen spotlights in the kitchen which I want to dim (lamps are dimmable), I assumed I would need a 450w dimmer but from what I have read I need a higher rated one – is that still the case or have manufacturers improved in recent years?

Problem 2 – Installing a low volt light to an existing dimmer
I have a Volex 4 gang 1 way dimmer and want to change one of the ceiling lights connected to it.
The dimmer is Digitrac, 40-250w, 220-240v, 50hz.
The light has 12 x G4 max 20w lamps, 230v and is dimmable, but the light shop say I need a special dimmer or risk blowing the transformer - is that the case, or is the dimmer I have fine? Assuming the dimmer is unacceptable is there another way around this, could I change the transformer for example?

Sponsored Links
most dimmers should be down rated for use with halogen lamps, usually by 50%

so in you two cases each dimmer is under rated

9 x 50 = 450 dimmer required 1000w (no such off the shelf 900w dimmer)

12 x 20 = 240 dimmer required is 500w but why not 1000 since you already need 1, get 2.

you should also make sure the transformer says its dimable

Note: dimming a halogen is not really a good idea, since it requires the imense heat for the halogen cycle to work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back