Lights Flashing On Dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got 2 wall lights in my living room which are connected through a dimmer switch and i cant stop them flashing

They are 12v halogen and have an integral transformer.

They say they are dimmable with induction dimmer which is what i have.

The same dimmer switch works fine with a normal 240v halogen so i'm guessing it is something to do with the transformers?

The dimmer is rated to 250w and the lamps are 20w each (2 per light)

Any ideas how to remedy?

Sponsored Links
The dimmer is rated to 250w and the lamps are 20w each (2 per light)
Does the dimmer have a minimum power rating? Many would be something like 60-250W. If that is the case, your 2 x 20W (i.e. 40W) could be too low for the dimmer to function correctly, and could possibly explain what you are experiencing.

Kind Regards, John

I've got 2 wall lights .... The dimmer is rated to 250w and the lamps are 20w each (2 per light)
2 x 2 x 20 = 80.
Ah :oops: Mind you, the total load might still be low enough to the dimmer's minimum to result in problems - I've certainly heard of people having problems with loads only a little over the minimum.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Transformers and dimmer are not compatible.
Solution - change the dimmer, change the transformers, or both.

Generally you want a trailing edge type of dimmer for electronic transformers.
Not entirely clear what your 'induction dimmer' is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back