Dipping toe into painting

Why are there no youtube videos showing this if it's a common problem? Is the problem caused by not enough pressure?
Not enough volume of air, and pressure

And probably most people with experience wouldn't even attempt it on that setup

Sponsored Links
Why are there no youtube videos showing this if it's a common problem? Is the problem caused by not enough pressure?
Difficult to explain in words rather than action.

But you will spray (swipe), lack of air will cause a stutter, blobs of paint on car.
Pause to build up pressure. Aim way from car to clear nozzle. Run out of air. Spray away from car. Wait for pressure. Swipe again. And repeat. Over and over again.

And don't forget those blobs of paint on the car then need working flat, and start again.

Difficult to explain in words rather than action.

But you will spray (swipe), lack of air will cause a stutter, blobs of paint on car.
Pause to build up pressure. Aim way from car to clear nozzle. Run out of air. Spray away from car. Wait for pressure. Swipe again. And repeat. Over and over again.

And don't forget those blobs of paint on the car then need working flat, and start again.
So, you had this problem with a bigger compressor such as the 25L one? Were you using HVLP gun?

Sponsored Links
So, you had this problem with a bigger compressor such as the 25L one? Were you using HVLP gun?
No. Struggled with a much bigger compressor.

It's not just cfm, you need fad (free air delivered) figures too.

A bigger tank will help, but if you can empty it quicker than you can fill it then you have the same problems.

No. Struggled with a much bigger compressor.

It's not just cfm, you need fad (free air delivered) figures too.

A bigger tank will help, but if you can empty it quicker than you can fill it then you have the same problems.
You must have used a HVLP gun then. More than likely you misted up the entire room.

I can't quite imagine that to produce the spray of a typical rattle can would be too much for the small compressor. I am not ambitious, if I could replicate a spray can's performance, I would be quite happy. No way to know until I try.

You must have used a HVLP gun then. More than likely you misted up the entire room.

I can't quite imagine that to produce the spray of a typical rattle can would be too much for the small compressor. I am not ambitious, if I could replicate a spray can's performance, I would be quite happy. No way to know until I try.
As I said before.

You don't want advice or experience. Go for it.

Let us know what happens. Tell us how much paint (and time and effort) you waste.

When the experience is an exact match, then it is worth taking blindly. Since no one would even dream of the set up I am looking at, there is some room for testing.

I reckon a 2L can should give plenty of left-overs. Times that by 4 for the primer, clear coat, and solvent. The start up cost is north of £500. If I succeed, I earn back 300 immediately.

mix-paint.png

When the experience is an exact match, then it is worth taking blindly. Since no one would even dream of the set up I am looking at, there is some room for testing.

I reckon a 2L can should give plenty of left-overs. Times that by 4 for the primer, clear coat, and solvent. The start up cost is north of £500. If I succeed, I earn back 300 immediately.

View attachment 336938
Go for it.

It's only £500.

Wasted

Maybe £75. There is always an option for getting something bigger if the small compressor fails. I am unable to see failure at the moment owing to lack of experience, from me and from others. Nobody has tried it. They just assume it's not possible.

Good point that. It's in black and white that custom paint isn't allowed.
No, it isn’t. A ceramic coating to protect the paint isn’t a 'custom paint job'. In any case, you can insure your car with a real custom paint job and pay extra so that if it is damaged, the custom paint job would be put back as it was and not just the base colour of the vehicle. What about signwritten vans? The AA and RAC come to mind. Are you saying those vehicles aren’t insured? Idiot.
You may think it's all a joke, but it isn't
Yes, it is.

Sponsored Links
Back