Directly pumped UF heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone ever installed UF heating with no mixing valves blending the temperature down and just pumped directly from the boiler using one pump instead of the usual two that you see in many designs and use the money saved to fit weather compensation control to control the maximum temperature.??

Sponsored Links
Hot water may be the problem. How are you going to heat the hot water with a boiler temperture low enough for U/F heating. Perhaps there are boilers that boost the flow temp on a DHW call. Presumerably it would have to be a hot water priority setup ie W plan as S plan wouldn't work.

The boiler would also need plenty of installer adjustment on the compensation curve and shift.

i think there are some boilers on the market that let you do this.

I 'm almost certain that a Viessmann Vitodens 300 can. It will control the underfloor heating on a seperate circuit from heating direct from the boiler. The underfloor has to be piped seperate from the radiator circuit tho. I remember reading it somewhere once.

Also i've been told the Hepworth underfloor heating will work direct off your radiator circuit without extra pump or mixing valve. so i've been told anyway.

Cheers for the replys.
Just thinking along the lines of reducing pumping costs and installation components.
Traditionally the floor temp is usually limited to a lower temp so valves and pumps are used in a secondary circuit which adds to the cost but coupled directly I think the installation costs and running could be lowered and the compensator should protect the floor from over heating. :D

Sponsored Links
Sider said:
Cheers for the replys.
Just thinking along the lines of reducing pumping costs and installation components.
Traditionally the floor temp is usually limited to a lower temp so valves and pumps are used in a secondary circuit which adds to the cost but coupled directly I think the installation costs and running could be lowered and the compensator should protect the floor from over heating. :D

a pal of mine is on with installing it in his house. He has got a Hepworth valve that controls it.

It just pipes straight off the main heating circuit with a direct flow then on the return it has this valve. Once the water has cooled down in the floor it opens and lets it pass through letting more hot water flow through then shuts off again and lets it cool. It is all done mechanically and no wiring needed. It just works like a TRV with a wax capsule. Not a lot to go wrong really.

So my pal tells me who is also a plumber. ;)

Micky
That sounds pretty good, does the valve take its temp reading from the return water flow or the surrounding atmosphere?
I would be interested in that kind of set up if you could get the model of the valve please.
Thanks
Pete

Fluffster said:
Micky
That sounds pretty good, does the valve take its temp reading from the return water flow or the surrounding atmosphere?
I would be interested in that kind of set up if you could get the model of the valve please.
Thanks
Pete

I havn't attually seen it yet but as far as im aware it lets full flow from the radiator circuit and then once the hot water gets throught the UF circuit and back out it, it goes throught this thermostatic valve which closes and shuts off the flow. It then lets the water cool down and just keeps letting small amounts of water flow through on and off so that way the floor doesn't get too hot. Like i said this is what i've been told so don't quote me on this. Also when the room is warm enough it shuts off completely. It is supposed to look like a TRV head that you fix in the wall above your skirting boards so that it sticks out and you can turn it off like a radiator valve.

So a cheap install could be with a self actuating temp limiter on the return/
P

I dont think they would be an option for a 12 loop manifold system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back