Disabled access ramp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning a concrete ramp for disabled access to my house. I want to cast a concrete kerb at the edge, and build a handrail on top of the kerb (probably using Kee Klamp).

I'd prefer to use inset sockets for the handrail uprights, rather than bolted-down base plates.

Is there a good method of concreting in the sockets so that they are square and plumb? I am thinking of screwing a wooden jig over the formwork to achieve this. Is there a more sensible way? At what point after pouring the concrete should the sockets be set in place?

Any other tips you have to pass on would be welcome, of course. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you are in need of an access ramp for a registered disabled person you may qualify for a council grant to have this work done, a friend of mine enquired about this and was allowed a grant which would pay for this work to be carried out to the council specifications. He declined the the offer because he was not willing to have a concrete ramp with a galvenised hand rail put outside his house, so he then enquired about how much it would be to have a paviered ramp and wrought iron hand rail done by a local company which work out to be less than what the council had been prepared to pay to have one done to their spec. The council would not pay to have a better ramp put in so he paid for it himself. If all you want is a concrete ramp then the council may be the way to go.

Thank you for the suggestion: I'll look into it. I probably need two ramps, though, and it may be greedy to ask for more than one.

Does anyone have any suggestions for setting the post sockets square?

I would put a post into the socket, so that it is well above ground level, and support it with timber props as you would do with a fence post.
I would of thought that would give a much better chance of getting post vertical etc. I would put socket/post in place before i poured concrete, make something to support it in correct position

Sponsored Links
Dig the holes out in the ground where you want the standards to go about 300mm deep, and set with a fairly dry mix of conctrete (this should stop any movement), leave for a couple of days to go off, then shutter round for the ramp and concrete the rest of it.

If you leave the standards fairly long, you can chop the tops off to suit at the 1m (minimum, 1100 max) height once the ramp part has set.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back