Disaster avoidance: Internal sand and cement render on light weight blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I have an internal wall that was sand and cement rendered and then skimmed in the 1980s. After some building work I have this area to patch:
20220925-104118.jpg

20220925-104126.jpg

Whats the best process to follow on this? Something like:
- Prime with 50:50 PVA:Water and allow to dry
- Another coat of the PVA mix and start rendering when tacky
- Render in one coat with 5:1 Plastering sand : cement with a dash of waterproofer and plasticiser
- Screed off to around 15mm thickness to match existing and allow to dry for a week
- Dampen down and then go straight on with 2 coats of multi finish.

Or is there a more preferred process to avoid disaster?

Sponsored Links
Hi, you don't necessarily need to PVA the wall , just wetting it down will suffice then a scratch coat and then the floating coat, a good plasticiser added to the mix will help when you come to skim it, I would tidy up the joint line a bit, also if you do decide to use PVA it would not hurt to go over a few inches onto the old plaster as this would make it easier to control the suction when patching in around the joint.
EDIT
don't forget to put some scrim around the joints where it meets the plaster boards ,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back