disc clean up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question on this disk clean up . when i tried my disk clean up i waited for for over 2 hours and it still didnt do anything, so i just cancelled it. How long should it take to do? I have never done it before. I have a toshiba laptop, if that makes any difference.
cheers...

Please do not hijack posts, (forum rule 20) it causes confusion. Your post has been split

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the cleanup or the defrag?

The disk cleanup should take anything from a few seconds to a few minutes, depending on machine spec., how much to clean up etc. The defragmentation can take a whole day, depending on how fragmented your data is.

If it's the cleanup that's taking ages, post details of your machine and also details of the stats provided by the first screen you see when you run the cleanup.

its the clean up. i havent tried the defrag yet. I am not on my laptop at the moment, but will try it again tomorrow night when i get home. I have a toshiba laptop pro sattelite, with xp on it. from what i remember, it just had a little pop up info box with 2 green lines progress and it stayed like that all the time. i remeber it saying something like 'compressed files' or something like that.

Ahh, ok don't click the box that says compress files. This will take a long time and is not really necessary.

Sponsored Links
tried it again igorian :( i dont get the option to choose compress files. it just does it automatically :( . it comes up with the message
' Disk cleanup is calculating how much space you will be able to free on (C: ). This may take a few minutes to complete. Calculating.'
what do you think the problem is? the only option i get is to cancel, which i do cos i dont have 2 hours free time and patience :( :cry:

nice link. very helpful. disk cleanup works fine now. thanks a lot igorian :) . on that disk defragmenter, do i just defragment all or view report and look at each one before i do it? i mean will i be ok just pressing defragment?

You could just do the defrag. If the level of fragmentation is high, it could take a while. I tend to schedule it to happen at night.

Sponsored Links
Back