Disconnect kitchen sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_3047.JPG
Hi all,
I need to dismantle a kitchen in a relatively new house (3 years old) helpfully there is no isolation valves on the sink cold and hot feeds. Cold is not an issue as I have the main stop cock but the hot is causing me issues. It has a more conventional hot water system for a newer house wih tanks in the loft and an airing cupboard. Any ideas how to isolate the hot please?

Attachments

• IMG_3048.JPG
    IMG_3048.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3045.JPG
    IMG_3045.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3046.JPG
    IMG_3046.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3047.JPG
    IMG_3047.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3050.JPG
    IMG_3050.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 95
Sponsored Links
Depending on room under the sink, ever heard of an Aladdin EasyFit Isolater. Takes 5mins and plenty of video`s showing how to fit.

Locate the pipe going into the bottom of the hot water cylinder. This will be a single 22 or 28mm pipe on one side. (Not the bottom pipe of the pair opposite feeding the cylinder coil from the boiler.)

Trace this up, it should head through the ceiling to one of the larger water cisterns in the loft. Somewhere along its length should be a valve to shut it off, I cannot tell which one from looking at the photo's. Close this and run your hot taps, flow should cease. If you're unlucky, and the valve doesn't fully shut off the flow, then you will have to isolate the cold supply to the cistern in the loft feeding this pipe, and drain that too.

It's advisable to change the faulty valve whilst the system is drained, the quarter turn lever type valves are far superior to a gate valve if you do change it.

If the gate valve on the cold feed to the cylinder is not shutting off, get yourself a big lump of blu-tac and use it to bung the outlet from the cold water tank. You can easily tell which hole to bung by running a hot tap and sticking your hand in the cold water tank to feel which of the outlets has water going down it. Once the flow from the tap has stopped you can cut an iso valve into your tap supply and crack on from there.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all! Tried the gate valve that seemed to run to cylinder but no joy. Decided to shut all four of them off and it worke. Pipes are now cut and capped off ready for sink to be removed tomorrow. Thank you all for your advice!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back