Disconnecting my cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need my electric cooker disconnecting when i move at the end of the month, is it safe to do it myself if i turn of the electric.

Sponsored Links
If you are completely unsure about your ability to do this work then call a professional.

If you attempt it yourself then you will need to be able to prove dead with a suitable instrument. You could turn off the power to the whole house if you have no test equipment but better to test as you can never be 100% sure.

Be certain not to leave any cables that will be live on re-energisation for you or the next occupant.

Many thanks for the reply, I think i'll play it safe and get someone else to do it who has some experience with electrics!

Just out of curiosity what is the best instrument to use to test if a wire is live or not?

Also what is the best way to leave the cable once iv'e taken the cooker away?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Just out of curiosity what is the best instrument to use to test if a wire is live or not?

Ideally, one of these. http://www.toolstop.co.uk/martindale-vi13700-g-safety-voltage-indicator-p1571
Or a cheapo multimeter (£6)

Also what is the best way to leave the cable once iv'e taken the cooker away?

Behind the cooker, on the wall, there should be a connection plate. Disconnect the cooker there, then there will be no live trailing wires left behind.

Also you'll need that cable to connect your cooker up at the next house!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back