Discrimination

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you really need a 32A ring in the garage? Would a 20A radial do?

Does a 40A breaker discriminate against a 32A?
This made me wonder.

Generally, with two breakers of the same type in series, what ratio of In is considered necessary for discrimination?

Sponsored Links
Depends on the current which is caused by the fault, as an MCB is a mech device this can cause a headache!!
From the square D tech info, for a fault up to 500A you will need a 63A MCCB to allow full discrimination of a 32A MCB.
In reality, using a larger C type MCB upstream of a B type can help.

edit should have read MCCB, not MCB :oops:

I'm not sure its very easy to get MCBs to discriminate, bit like RCDs in the way they work, if you get a fault above the level at which they operatae, then they will operate quickly

If the fault that occured was above the level at which the upstream breaker operated at, then chances are they'd both trip, if the Z's of the final circuit was high enough that the fault currents were too low to operate the upstream breaker, then obviously thats one way of forcing discriminination.

Fuses are easier,just make sure the pre-arcing I²t of the upstream one is lower than the total I²t of the downstream one (ie. make sure that the let through energy of the smaller fuselink after the arc has cleared and the circuit opened, is insufficent to melt upstream fuselink)

Fuse-> mcb discrimination is tad harder than fuse->fuse, similar situation, the total let through energy is available for MCBs (but it varies in relation to fault level*)

*so does a fuse, but in a different way

[/i]

Sponsored Links
This is a very complex area. When you address discrimination you need to define the range over which you want to achieve it.

Discrimination over the range of, say, over load current to low value fault current is one thing. Discrimination for higher fault currents may not be achieved by the same combination of devices.

The only real answer is to consult the manufacturer or use software that has the whole range of characteristics for each device.

Some use a two to one rule of thumb but 1.6 to 1 is often OK.

In most domestic situations discrimination is not a 'safety' issue and as such is not important. An exception to this would be discrimination between RCDs (front end and downstream) and to some extent that depends how you choose to define the requirements of section 314 (and we all know what happens when regulations are loosely drafted :D).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back