Dishwasher problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My dishwasher has a top and bottom arm, which I would expect both to rotate and spray at the same time. However they are connected independently to the block of tricks at the bottom.

The bottom arm is connected directly and the top arm is connected via a column that goes up the back of the dish washer. These connection appear to go into different water ways in the block of tricks at the bottom.

I can not consistently get high pressure water to both arms. Is something wrong or does the machine deliberately send water to the arms differently during the wash cycle?

Any knowledgeable people out there know the answer to this it would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Spray arms are usually propelled by the flow of water coming from the pump. I think your ars are probably blocked. They should be removable, look in the instructions.

there are a few dishwashers that use a half load function (not important). there is only one pump that provides water to both spray arms, and pressure to both should be the same.
how do u know that they are not opperating correctly? the main cause of spray arm problems resides in the last holes at the very end of the arm. that are angled to provide directional movement (if these are blocked with glass,gunge,plastic of food they cant turn)

thanks for replies

spray arms are not blocked. All have been removed and fully cleaned as has the coloumn that goes to the top spray arm.

I know they are not right, as if you open the door quickly you can see them going round, which they don't always do.

What I am finding very difficult to understand is why the 2 arms appear to be plumbed unto different water ways in the block at the bottom of the machine. the lower spray arm is a straight push fit into this block. The water coloumn that goes to the top spray arm appears to go over a second pipe inside the block. If I stick my finger down this hole there appears to be a plastic ring that rotates and the position of this ring appears to be determine which spray arm get water. If I run the machine without the arms / water coloumn I can get a large quantity of high pressure water from one or other of these outlets, but not both, dependant on the position of the plastic ring.

I am currently running it through a program and it does appear that during this program it is changing the arm receiving water. I know because I keep opening the door to look!

The question is, is this correct because I have always thought all machines spin both spray arms all the time.

any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
What make is the machine?
How old is it?
Have you been to manufacturers site?
Have you contacted manufacture?
Have you done a google using the model number?

hi there

Bosch SGV43A03GB

4 years

not contacted manufactuer

google search, not very helpful

There's an alternating valve which is part of the heater box. It alternates water every 5 seconds or so between top and bottom spray arms.

5 seconds or 5 minutes? I would say mine is more like 5 mins (or more). How does this work, is it the plastic ring I refered to or is it an electric solenoid?

As to how it works, part of the heater box is the alternating valve, it's an electrically controlled motor.

bottom basket 60 sec. / top basket 55 sec., changeover lasts approx. 5 sec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back