Dishwasher Water Supply - Hot or Cold?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just got new dishwasher (Bosch Exxcel) and instructions say can be plumbed to either hot or cold. Bosch recommend cold but do not state why.

To me it would seem more efficent to allow my boiler to heat the water than the dishwasher, and therefore connect it to the hot. However, from reading around it appears that wash performance may be reduced if connected to hot as there is less soaking time (as the water does not need to be heated). Also any cycles the dishwasher would just use cold for would now be using (expensive) hot water.

I know, I know, I should suck it and see - which I will - but just thought someone may have some valuable thoughts / experience of the pros and cons.

Sponsored Links
It might be more cost effective to allow your boiler to do a lot of the heating but not more efficient.

On another note, plumbing it to cold would allow your dishwasher to take much more precise control over the water temperature, and hence it is usually reccomended. For example, what if you have it in low temperature mode, and the water from the boiler eventually arrives at more than 45c (usually the temperature for low heat dishwashes)?
I would think it for this reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back