Dismantling Conservatory. What can be salvaged?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will be taking down my 20 year old conservatory at the weekend to make way for an extension.
I have offered my neighbour any parts which are salvageable as he would like to build a conservatory.

I wasn't involved in the construction and dont have a clue about how to go about taking it down.
I've managed to remove the glazing beads on one panel and can see how to take out the glass.
Looks as though each panel is joined to the next with screws through the glazing channel.

I would be grateful for any advice on the best way to deconstruct the conservatory and which parts you think could reasonably be salvaged.

Conservatory-Plan.jpg Conservatory-Side.jpg Conservatory-End.jpg

Sponsored Links
You can salvage 100% of them - that's what I found when I sold my P shaped one five years ago.

Work from the top down -

• Remove lead flashings etc, then remove the ridge finishing strips and finales - they all just click on, and they might have a little extra silicone here and there for good measure.
  • Click the top caps off the roof glazing bars.
  • Unscrew the end caps of the roof glazing bars.
  • At this point there's nothing much keeping the glass roofing panels from sliding out other than the self adhesive black foam sealing strips at the edges.
  • Remove all glass.
  • Remove all inside ridge cladding and window eaves-beam cladding.
  • At this point you should be able to see the bolts that connect the glazing bars to the eaves-beam and ridges plates.
  • IIRC a couple of M8 nuts at each end of the glazing bars. Remove them one by one until you only have a couple left, then phone a friend: The ridge and glazing bars support each other and you don't want to leave the ridge hovering in mid air or vice versa. Lots of clever use of ladders will help :)
  • Cup of tea.
  • remove window eaves-beam
  • Now, all that's left is the window units - these are easy by comparison, as you've already found out: Remove window beading, remove the DGUs, then unscrew the frames. I expect the underneath of the sills might be caked in expanding foam or silicone.

ETA - just found this which will give you a good idea... there's very little (if any) cutting/fettling when assembling so no reason it can't all be re-used: http://www.tradepriceconservatories.com/assembly-guide.pdf

I can't think of anything worse that re-fitting a second hand conny. Just thinking about setting out the brickwork to try and make it work for a pre-existing conny makes me want to weep.
Let alone all the missing bits, worn/perished/hardened rubber gaskets, ill fitting (memory prone) parts, compressed foam gaskets.
Horrendous.

Maybe best let the neighbour take it apart so he knows how it all goes together? A big pile of bits would be a nightmare to sort out.

Sponsored Links
We sold ours on eBay for £100 and the guy collected and dismantled.

Doing it via the neighbour sounds like a horrid ordeal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back