Dispute / small claims help please

The problem is because of the draw unit under the joint.....its not moved, when the slab was put in place it would not sit level because the support was all on the left hand side due to it sitting on the upstand sides of the cupboard next to it .
Then the other 75 of the worktop was left trying to be supported by the chipboard top of the draws which was buckleing under the weight .
The worktop supplier at the time said it was a problem but once he had lifted it level the slab on the right the glue would hold it .
20170220_073430.jpg
20170220_073437.jpg
20170220_073445.jpg
20170220_073456.jpg
20170220_073530.jpg
20170220_073539.jpg
20170220_073606.jpg
20170220_073625.jpg
20170220_073630.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming its like this:
draw.png

Why did you go for a two piece option - I have a very similar layout 2.2M wide, though mine is quartz.
32874163912_1f2dd253a3_b.jpg

It seems the remedy is to fit some extra cross bracing at top and refit the worktop. I can't see why that will cost £600.

I think legally its a stretch to argue you are not responsible for the upgrade of the carcase. I think given he gave assurances it would work, he would be obliged to repeat the services.

Last edited:
i can see it better now that should never of been fitted was never going to hold

Slightly off topic (apologies in advance) but did you get a discount for having the quarry name engraved into the splashback or did it just arrive like that?

Sponsored Links
No, you pay more for that as it looks trendy! Seriously though it worries me if the OP paid out £50k in cash for building work. He may have saved on VAT but what protection has he got when things start going wrong or he needs to prove the work was done professionally at some time in the future?

There's no way I'd have a logo on, but I guess its saying look English oak, not far eastern oak etc.

You have pretty much the same protection. You prove a contract either one based orally or in writing. bank transfer doesn't give you any more protection over cash.

Sorry Drewjac, thanks for the extra pictures, but I'm still not convinced on the problem - and sorry to be a pain on this, but because there is a 5mm difference in height, it still suggest to me that it could well be the units that are at fault, especially as the back is level, but the front isn't.

I agree with you that the joint should have been put over where 2 carcases join together, but they should still be able to support themselves on their own. In your case, I would have taken out the chipboard cross member, and fitted a piece of oak instead to provide extra support, but looking at the pictures you've given us, it would suggest to me that you're sink unit may be sitting higher at the front than the back (or the other way on the left of the worktop. Can you put a spirit level over the whole worktop, and see where the differences are please, because it's possible that the fitter would come back, and still mess the job up.

Sorry, I've just looked at the pictures, and yes, the left hand worktop is unbalanced, as there's more of the worktop over the drawer unit, than sitting on the left hand unit. This is unquestionably a complete Donald duck up, and the fitters fault. You can either take him to court for a refund on poor workmanship, or you can find someone to remove the worktops, install an adequate support (possible a metal bar) over the drawer unit, and then refit the worktops, and charge him for the cost of the work.

Looking at the pictures again, can you move the drawer unit to the left, and move the left hand carcase in to the middle, as this would provide better support for the worktop.

I'd agree that swapping the two units around would help, but that would annoy the crap out of you every time you used the draws as they'd feel in the wrong place. It also looks like all the finishing has been done, so that is a lot of rework. If the top of the draw is solid, then its not easy to suggest strengthening, if its a bar, then just swap it for a solid shelf option.

Even going on the supposition that the base units are inadequate, there is an inherent duty for any professional not to work on, fix to, carry out work etc, which he knows (or should know because of his professional status) will be inadequate, contrary to any standard, or just bad practice.

There are precedent cases on this.

The worktop fitter/supplier should have inspected the supporting carcases and ensured that they were adequate, and that a joint in that location would be suitable. He can't pass the buck.

In other news, I'd agree that the writing on the upstand is awful.

Sponsored Links
Back