Dissertation ideas

Sponsored Links
How about insulating traditional glass or poly conservatory roofs to make them more usable spaces during warmer and colder periods, this is a topic that seems be becoming more and more popular on the forum over the last 12 months or so and I don't just mean the Bozo 'TRUST ME' who keeps on bringing old threads back from the dead to have a rant.

Only 1000 words for a dissertation? :eek: :rolleyes:

Four pages of A4 is not a dissertation it's a summary note.

If I was interested in roofing, then I would look at roof work quality, and why tiled roof work is not lasting as long as it should and needs maintenance after just a few years.

And why more and more plastic is being used on roof work, and will it last more than 20 years. Basically where has the skill gone and are monkeys fitting plastic ridges from an instruction book the answer

But with a dissertation, if you are not interested in the subject, and don't know about it (ie someone else's choice not yours) then it will show, will be crap and the assessor will see that too

Sponsored Links
Those sites are well known to university staff - and the software used to check for plagiarism and unoriginal work

There is often a debate on here over which roofing material is best. Obviously there are many factors to consider, cost, durability, environmental implications, asthetics, etc.
There have been many new products coming onto the market over the last decade but they haven't been around long enough to stand the test of time but this doesn't mean they won't. However the more traditional roofing is a known quantity but with mortar on the ridge and hips have proven to be a weak area, mean they no longer as durable as they should be.
I would be interested in reading your take on this issue.

There have been many new products coming onto the market over the last decade but they haven't been around long enough to stand the test of time

mortar on the ridge and hips have proven to be a weak area, mean they no longer as durable as they should be.

Most if not all of the new products have tended to be 'new to the UK', having been used in other countries for many years previously - so have a track record

I don't agree with mortar being the weak area and not as durable as it should be. You can see lots of Tudor or later buildings with seemingly original mortar and even with mortar abutment flashings. A lot of the pre-war semi's have tiles coming to the end of their life and the original mortar

Mortar should last as long as the tiles. Its the quality of the workmanship which is lacking nowadays

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back