distemper or lime washed ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
for the longest time i have had problems with my ceilings
my house was built in the 70 and the ceilings were washed with either distemper or limewash every time we painted the ceiling would bubble and end up peeling it of
loads of people have giving us ideas the only way is to wash the ceiling clean
or use pva glue befor you paint well tryed it all
finaly got fed up and contacted a paint surplier and guess what there is a paint especally made for this ITS MADE BY DULUX ITS CALL STAIN BLOCK PLUS ESPECALLY CREATED FOR LIMEWASH OR DISTEMPER SO NO NEED TO TO USE PVA OR ANYTHING ELSE THIS ACTUALY WORKS I USED IT THE ONLY OTHER PROBLEM IS YOU CAN ONLY GET IT FROM BREWERS OR A TRADE DEPOT AND IT COSTS £32 FOR A 2.5LTR POT WHIICH IS EXSPENSIVE BUT IT DOESE WORK AND CUTS OUT THE CLAENING AND THE MESSING AROUND WITH PVAS
HOPE THIS HELPS

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It's not a good idea using PVA to seal in a stained or flaking ceiling etc before painting, and I wouldn't dream of paying £32 for a 2.5ltr of stain block either, when a £10,,, £15 tin of oil based undercoat does more or less the same job. It's better dampening down/scraping off all the loose flaky distemper etc anyway.

Roughcaster.

distemper was not used in the 1970s

PVA makes paint fall off. Perhaps you were causing the problem you were trying to solve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back