dividing bamboo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 3 bamboo plants (clump forming Phyllostachys aurea or golden bamboo) and they are currently growing as 3 fat columns about a metre apart. I want to move them to another part of the garden and spread them out to cover a rather ugly fence. WHat I was wondering was, could I divide the bamboo into say 8 smaller plants and put them in a line with very little spacing between them. This way they would act like a screen and cover the whole fence. BTW - the bamboo is about 3m tall and each root is abou 40cm wide. Is dividing them a wise thing to do, or will I end up with 8 dead bamboo plants. Any tips on how to split them (roots are solid like a block of wood) and not wreck the roots. Also, any tips on how to give them the best possible start.
(I read on an american website that there should be 3 canes in each section and this should be trimmed to 0.5m high. And this chaps soaks the roots in a bath of rooting hormone! sounds a bit crazy to me. I have never trimmed the height of bamboo, just left it to grow tall. What happens if it is trimmed? does it carry on growing upwards, or does it just die back?)
that's all folks

Sponsored Links
firstly if you cut it down in terms of height it will keep growing upwards. Whenever we split them we are pretty brutal with them. We either use a spade to chop through the roots or a bow saw. Give them a real good soaking first. Dig the holes before you move them, put plenty of compost in and once moved, plenty of water ofr a couple of weeks after wards.

hi Theremo,
each of the plants has around 15 canes, each about 3m tall. How many sections do you thank I could get? Regarding height, should I trim them down, to say 1m tall, or could they be left at 3m tall (that would be taller than the fence I want to cover. ) I was thinking of digging up the plant, just chopping each root into 4 pieces, and then planting each piece. I didn't plan to thin, or shorten any canes. Would that work?

do not let that stuff grow unchecked!

we nearly tipped the digger over yesterday trying to remove a huge clump of bamboo. it spreads its shoots everywhere. :evil:

bamboo and knotweed should go back to where they belong. ;)

Sponsored Links
you are forgiven, now say three hail marys. we will treat it as a momentery lapse......hows the head?? :LOL: ;)

sorry to intrude chaps, but I have another question:

most books I've looked at suggest that when you divide a bamboo clump, you take the smaller parts and put them in a pot. You then transplant them after a year or so, once established. Can't I just take a large clump (40cm squarish) , divide it into 3 roughly equal parts, then plant them back in the ground approx 40cm apart. Then hopefully, in a few years time, they will have formed something like a hedge.

Should I reduce the height of the bamboo when re-planting? They are currently 3+ m high. WIll shorter bamboo cope better with the dividing?

If I reduced a bamboo cane from 3m to 2m, would that same cane grow back to 3m? or, will it just stay at that height and start producung more side-shoots? just like most other plants do.

regarding being invasive and spreading: According to most places I looked, I've got "golden" or "fishpole" bamboo, which is not very invasive. Still, I wouldn't might it being a bit invasive if it meant it would fill the gaps between the plants and form a hedge. Just my luck if it starts growing outwards, rather than sideways!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back