DIY basement tanking and guarantees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im tanking a basement with studded membrane. Need to do it myself because relatively poor! I note the manufacturer of the membrane says guaranteed for 20 yrs if installed to manufacturers specifications. Does this mean that if I can prove it was installed right it it will be guaranteed?

Sponsored Links
i wouldn't hold out much hope in claiming against any guarantee. i feel they are best used to give an indication of the quality of the product.

i believe what this guarantee is saying is that the material will act as a damp proof membrane for at least 20 yrs (which i think is pretty good). i would expect that it's probably intended for use in laying concrete floors.

tanking is a more challenging application and i feel the small print will be quite restrictive and hence the extent of the guarantee.

Thanks Jerry. I dont think I'd ever try claiming against guarantee if I've put it in. Sort of my own fault if it goes wrong! I was more concerned about when I come to sell it; will people run a mile?

The guarantee would be for the material only and not the job as a whole.

At sale time, no-one is really interested in any guarantee from a DIY job. Of course "sell" the idea to them that its guaranteed etc and they may bite, but in any survey, this will be flagged up as an area of concern with no 'proper' guarantee, and I would advise the client that it is an area of risk and possible bargaining point in any price reduction.

In addition, any the future owner is not part of the contract (between you and the membrane supplier/manufacturer) and is therefore unlikely to get any benefit from the guarantee.

As a buyer, they would want to know that there is someone to claim off if it leaks. For it to be 'guaranteed' then you would have to personally guarantee it.

Sponsored Links
when I come to sell it; will people run a mile?

it depends on how the job turns out. most damp proofing if it's going to fail will do so pretty soon (typ within 6mths).

it depends what the rooms being used for but i would expect it to attract the surveyor’s attention being something different (ie the house as built has changed). if the jobs good then not a problem. if not then as woody says you may have to accept some price reduction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back