DIY chimney cap

This is the problem with DIY - you want it to cost you less than nothing (I'm certainly guilty). My next door neighbours recently had 3 stuck up, probably paid some checkatrade con artist a grand for it - here we are squabbling about £100; but it's £100 - if you can cobble something together for £20 it's free beers and takeaway at the weekend!

I pinched some pepper pots out of an old biddies garden for mine - they looked stupid as plant pots.

Sponsored Links
The 2 that I made are basically this design only in stainless steel. And this one in the picture seems to fit without an air gap but I moulded my straps around the top lip/rim to keep it standing off. I have 4 straps as they go all the way underneath and curve with the dome and cross in the middle so the 4 straps are actually 2 long lengths.
capure.JPG

Obviously we're not going to see the mixing bowl strapped on with builders band, presumably it looks as awful as it sounds.

£30 sounds pretty sensible to me. Someone's made it, someone else boxed it, ebay takes about 20%, VAT takes another 17%, then someone will drive to your house and hand it to you.

Obviously we're not going to see the mixing bowl strapped on with builders band, presumably it looks as awful as it sounds.

£30 sounds pretty sensible to me. Someone's made it, someone else boxed it, ebay takes about 20%, VAT takes another 17%, then someone will drive to your house and hand it to you.
I didn't use builders strap - that was just a suggestion as i already had the strips of stainless. Mine look exactly the same as the one in the picture only stainless steel

Sponsored Links
So its sensible to get a tradesman in to do any work as opposed to doing it yourself because their costs can be justified?? Long live DIY

I didn't use builders strap - that was just a suggestion as i already had the strips of stainless. Mine look exactly the same as the one in the picture only stainless steel

Stainless steel dog bowls, they come in a variety of diameters.

Last edited:
So its sensible to get a tradesman in to do any work
Roofing work - yes.

If you have a decent set of ladders, cat ladders and are not phased by heights and the potential to have to repair any broken roof tiles - crack on with your dog bowl lash-up. Have you looked at Woody's solution.... :cool:
Always good to post a piccie.

Roofing work - yes.

If you have a decent set of ladders, cat ladders and are not phased by heights and the potential to have to repair any broken roof tiles - crack on with your dog bowl lash-up.
Always good to post a piccie.
So how much would you charge for fitting one.

If you can replicate their primary function I.e. keep the weather and the birds out, plus allowing airflow, AND something that's not going to rust away or blow away, fill your boots.
Stainless steel dog bowls, they come in a variety of diameters.
I think a dog bowl is a good idea, go to your local metal fabrications workshop and they will have loads of off cuts of stainless steel almost ready made strips for next to nothing as they are destined for scrap.

DIY for the win!

Stainless is fairly easy to come by. The telescopic 'chimney' that comes as part of a kitchen extractor unit comes to mind. I have a couple of these left over from previous kitchen refurbs. So that's the materials taken care of, and straps can be cut out of these too.

DIY for the win!

Stainless is fairly easy to come by. The telescopic 'chimney' that comes as part of a kitchen extractor unit comes to mind. I have a couple of these left over from previous kitchen refurbs. So that's the materials taken care of, and straps can be cut out of these too.

Stainless, tends to work harden - careful how you try to drill it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back