DIY Combi Install

Sponsored Links
Key thing, as others have mentioned ... Agree with a Corgi RGI in advance what they are comfortable for you to do and them to put their name to.

I would certainly not do anything related to the gas supply prior to locating the RGI as you could end up wasting your time and money.

Most I know will be comfortable with you doing all the time consuming donkey work ... Floorboards, joist notching, wall core drilling and boiler hanging and often even bending and dry assembling the pipework ready for the them to come in, solder up, flue and commission.

Remember ... It's time you're trying to save (=£'s) so do the time consuming work and let the pro come in and do what they're good at and you get reduced costs and a safe installation.

At the other end of the scale, if you are competant forget all about the Corgi RGI and do it all yourself which you are legally entitled to do. Remember, though, to notify LBC BEFORE you start and be sure to tell them that you are doing the work yourself in case they wish to inspect at stages in the work.

If the CORGI is to notify the installation as his own work then he MUST:-

Fit the mounting bracket
Assemble and fit the flue.
Fit ALL the gas supply pipework.
Test and commission the boiler.
Fill in benchmark and notify CORGI

Not many professionals would choose that make and model of boiler! Some would not even want to commission it!

Tony

Sponsored Links
If you are not qualified to do gas work, and to fit boilers, you should leave it to the people that are trained to do it SAFELY and CORRECTLY.
chrisey.

You're not saving money, youre just throwing it down the drain in the long run. I've seen others attempts (when called in to put things right). Listen to what everyone is telling you.

I understand that money's tight but you may as well throw that Ravenheat out the window for all the good it will do.

I say go back to square one. Get a few quotes in. THen ask what you could do to help with the costs. I've been asked this many times. As stated you could do the fetching and carrying, removing the old boiler, core drilling, lifting the floorboards, cleaning up, mixing the 'gobbo' and some pointing up.

chrisey said:
If you are not qualified to do gas work, and to fit boilers, you should leave it to the people that are trained to do it SAFELY and CORRECTLY.
chrisey.

Very concise and constructive reply there chrisey.... Thankyou :)

I've been asked this many times. As stated you could do the fetching and carrying, removing the old boiler, core drilling, lifting the floorboards, cleaning up, mixing the 'gobbo' and some pointing up

God I wish some of my customers would ask that question! I hate those jobs!!!

Competancy is the issue NOT qualification. If you are competant then, by definition, you are capable of doing it correctly (which, by definition, means safely) ;)

This does not mean you need to be a Corgi RGI as has been discussed many many times on this and other sites and, I'm sure, will be discussed again and again and again.

I know engineers from other industries who routinely deal with low and high pressure gases to much more demanding standards than domestic gas involves. They have all the equipment and knowledge to carry out domestic gas work to at least the same standard as any Corgi RGI and, by virtue of their professional experience and qualifications, would be considered competant provided they followed current domestic gas regs.

As long as they are DIY'ing their own property and notify LBC in advance of any work there is no problem whatsoever.

Competancy is the key.

Other posters are right though, its likely the OP isn't competant and should seek professional help.

MW

This is all what my Corgi would be able to tell me what he's happy with me doing.

I'm trying to get an idea of what is req'd etc.

ibruce - you're showing clearly why it WON'T WORK.

Your corgi WON'T know ALL that you're doing. He can't give you a list of "Dumb things not to do". He won't be THERE while you're doing things.
YOU don't know what things you need to be told,
HE doesn't know what things you don't know.

You haven't even got yourself a basic plumbing textbook , and think a few wise words will tell you all his knowledge, experience and judgement.
You sound like the sort of bloke who'd put rads on the wall with one inch
screws then moan that nobody told you any different. I've seen an engineering graduate do exactly that - he though he knew enough...

Stick to carrying things about, and sweeping up.

ChrisR, sorry to be cynical but there have been that many posts identical to this.

Which leads me to think that many OP's intentions of finding this 'CORGI' guy is about as plausible as the imaginary friend you'd make up as a lad when buying fags, booze or a copy of Men Only.

I should hear the BANG from here, him being in Lancashire and me Cumbria! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back