DIY Consumer Unit Change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Walking through B&Q, I spotted a handful of Consumer Units on display with a nice offer on them, got me thinking.... why would you do a DIY consumer unit fitment?

I assume it will be certainly notifiable..

The plan... change an old 4 Wylex Brown Fuse Wire Board, with a nice new 17th Edition Split Load, Dual RCD board. Upgrade the garage to a 6mm 3-core SWA (I love a good fat earth :)) and move it on the unprotected side with an RCBO. In the process, upgrade the Main Earth to 16mm, then run a 10mm T&E to the Water & Gas.

The cost? £100 max for the board and bits, labour is free (me) however I wonder what the notifiable costs are and what they compare with the "We replace old consumer units for £300" man out of the paper?

(Naturally assuming its £300, plus 16mm Main Earth, Gas/Water 10mm rolling into Supplementary bonding etc but I think its 1/2 copper 1/2 plastic)

Sponsored Links
The notification has a cost, but the authority you are notifying have to be of the opinion that you are competent to complete the work to the correct standards. This is where the issues would probably start.

Why B&Q sell CU's, no idea!

Notification costs are typically £150-£300, depending on where you live.

Then there is the inspection of the installation and testing of every circuit and repairing the inevitable faults which will be found. There may be a few minor things - or there may be all kinds of defects.

Bonding to gas, water and any other items might be straightforward if they are adjacent to the consumer unit location. Or it could require tens of metres of wire across the other side of the house which has concrete floors, laminate or tiled floors etc.

Not forgetting the method used to isolate the old fusebox so that the new CU can be installed.

Split load or dual RCD efforts are generally to be avoided as well.

Sponsored Links
Why not?

It's not illegal for them to sell them, it's not illegal for people to buy them and it's not illegal for people to install them.

B&Q sell almost everything you need to build a complete house.

Some electricians work saturdays and sundays and could unexpectantly need parts.
There are limited wholesalers open weekends

But how many electricians would be happy using the often unbranded, or fixed configuration boards supplied by B&Q?

I'd expect the electricians I know to either spec. the board at the time of quotation and source it for the job, or say they needed to wait until their usual seller was open.

I'd expect the electricians I know to either spec. the board at the time of quotation and source it for the job, or say they needed to wait until their usual seller was open.

And in the event of a major fault on an existing CU leaving their client possibly without a supply, good service

I think they sell wylex, as do Wickes.

I can't imagine any electrican going to b&q to get a cu on a Saturday. Well any day if the week

The local Tradepoint parking places always seem well used when I pass.

They also sell boilers; goodness me!.

What difference does it make where you buy anything?
Apart from, their prices for small things always seem high.

Just as well?

I'd hope you would set your sights higher than the "We replace old consumer units for £300" man out of the paper...

;)

Some electricians work saturdays and sundays and could unexpectantly need parts.
There are limited wholesalers open weekends

But how many electricians would be happy using the often unbranded, or fixed configuration boards supplied by B&Q?

I'm happy to use them. They sell BG consumer units for £50 including vat on discount days which is cheaper than electricfix and CEF who both sell the same CU.

I don't know about where you live but round my way it's really cut throat and if saving £10 or £20 means the difference between getting the job and losing out to someone else, I'll shop at B&Q all day long.

Just as well?

I'd hope you would set your sights higher than the "We replace old consumer units for £300" man out of the paper...

;)

I do wonder what brand the £300 man is using, and how many ways the board will have. I suspect there is a "Subject to T&C" next to it.

As for me, i may well leave them to replace the board, then i can run some 10mm Earth to the Gas/Water. Naturally assuming the 17th Edition is still 10mm Earth minimum to the Gas/Water. The Gas/Water are within a few metres of the board, and from the olden days would would loop the earth through the Gas clamp, finishing at the water.

I have some background, i have old skool City and Guilds 236 Pt 1, so will be sure to check for sleaving/grommets before he arrives.

As for me, i may well leave them to replace the board, then i can run some 10mm Earth to the Gas/Water. Naturally

Well, if necessary, the bonding would have to be done before the board is changed as an alteration to the CSA of the bonding conductor will change the impedance readings on all circuits (ie the R1+R2 results).

In any case, the size of bonding conductor may not need to be altered. It will depend on the type of supply that you have. If its TNC-S then certainly a 10mm² is necessary, but for a TT (e.g.) it may be a different size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back