DIY Damproofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im wondering if there are any suitable diy damp proof courses that can be inected into brick?

I have a damp proof injected course along the rear of my victorian terrace, however at some point a door has been moved and bricked up without that area injected or presumably the addition of a damp proof membrane and we have signs of damp in that area, Im not requiring a guarentee with any work as the wall is already guarenteed with the exception i presume of this area.

Is there a simple DIY Kit i could use to remedy the problem and if so where do i get it from?

Also im presuming the cause of the damp is the fact that concrete has been laid right upto the outside wall. Im thinking of cutting a channel out of the concrete and putting gravel in the chanel, would this be a fairly easy process of hiring a sthill and cutting a line then breaking it up with my SDS? what width should the channel be?

Sponsored Links
Im wondering if there are any suitable diy damp proof courses that can be inected into brick?
There are, but they're pointless.

I have a damp proof injected course along the rear of my victorian terrace, however at some point a door has been moved and bricked up without that area injected or presumably the addition of a damp proof membrane and we have signs of damp in that area, Im not requiring a guarentee with any work as the wall is already guarenteed with the exception i presume of this area.
I doubt that the cause is rising damp.

Is there a simple DIY Kit i could use to remedy the problem and if so where do i get it from?
Where is the damp appearing?

Do you have any photos of the affected area?

Also im presuming the cause of the damp is the fact that concrete has been laid right upto the outside wall. Im thinking of cutting a channel out of the concrete and putting gravel in the chanel, would this be a fairly easy process of hiring a sthill and cutting a line then breaking it up with my SDS? what width should the channel be?
4". But I would strive to lower the level of any nearby solid ground to be at least two brick courses below where you think a DPC belongs.

Make sure the problem is rising damp first, as usually it’s something else.

In answer to your original question though - Dryzone is a damp proofing kit you can use do yourself and is supposed to be one of the better treatments.

It’s not cheap, however I would suggest taking a look on eBay. Often you find sellers getting rid of the left over tubes of treatments they’ve carried out. You’ll probably only need one tube of Dryzone and the injector gun so will cost you about £50.

the damp is apearing in the corner of the living room on the corner of the supporting wall and rear wall. I presume the previous occupants have had some trouble in the past and they have had some joists in the floor replaced and strengthened on the same rear wall, presumably due to rot from the damp?

The damp is literally just where the new brickwork is that hasnt been injected and i only uncovered it when i removed the wallpaper, which was soggy to remove and noticed a damp area, the gutters have been replaced and the pointing looks ok. The damp is most where the two walls meet between the kitchen and the living room.

The concrete outside is about 2 inch below the current floor level of the house and runs all the way along the back of the house, there is a dodgyly fitted outside light at window level in the same area, do you think this could be a source of ingress? with wires that run loose on the face of the brickwork.

All help welcomed

Sponsored Links
the damp is apearing in the corner of the living room on the corner of the supporting wall and rear wall.
Photo!

The damp is literally just where the new brickwork is that hasnt been injected and i only uncovered it when i removed the wallpaper, which was soggy to remove and noticed a damp area, the gutters have been replaced and the pointing looks ok. The damp is most where the two walls meet between the kitchen and the living room.
Do you mean at the joint between the external wall and the internal wall, i.e. the room division?

The concrete outside is about 2 inch below the current floor level of the house and runs all the way along the back of the house
That's not very good. :(

Im at work at the moment. might be able to provide pic later,

Yeah the damp is at the corner of the rear wall and room dividing wall.

Whats the options with the concrete?

If I read the picture you describe correctly in that you have a damp patch in an area approx 1 metre wide where a door used to be, and that either side of this ex doorway there is no problem then the answer is simple.
Forget about airbricks and ground levels, just carefully remove the 4no internal and external bricks and slide in a conventional dpc , then replace said bricks.
Do each side seperately and don't worry your house will not fall down when you remove the bricks.
The level of the new dpc will be determined by the external ground and the internal floor levels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back