diy door entry system help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking to install an audio door entry system in a block of 4 flats. There is currently no lock. We would prefer to install a maglock but cost is an issue (there's a landlord who hasn't been burgled twice, unlike my friend, and who won't pay to have a system professionally installed).
I'm fairly technically minded but haven't done anything like this before. All advice - what systems are best / cheapest, where to buy, lists of exactly what I'll need - gratefully received. From what I've read so far, I'm not sure how entry is usually gained from the outside when a maglock is installed.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
panel on the outside with 4 buttons, one for each flat..
handset / box on wall rings in whichever flat you press..
owner speaker to person outside via intercom.
owner presses button and releases the maglock..

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DSDK4.html

best to use a door lock rather than a mag-lock..
that way you can have a fail secure one and still use keys for the owners to get in and a thumbturn to get out..

if your friend is the one getting burgled, then I'd suggest that they beef up their own security as well..

Mag locks are low security, use a system as stated above, thumbturn cylinder and electronic striker plate controlled by intercom and maybe an electronic keypad on the outside of the building.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back