DIY gas fire fitting, is it legal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I have a fire front which I wish to fit to a compatible back boiler. I'm intending on doing this myself, however I want to know the legalities of this.

It is to be fitted in my own home and I will ensure the opening complies with building regs before fitment.

I used to work with British gas many years ago and feel competant enough to do this. I am not CORGI registered or a fitter or anything, but I had a fair bit of training many years ago with BG.

I will ensure I follow all the guidelines and fitting instructions. I also know how to test the operation of the fire and back boiler and carry out safety checks.

Does this qualify as being competant to DIY fit? Once fitted I will get the installation checked over by a CORGI registered engineer. Is this legally necessary and can I use the fire before it is checked over or shall I just leave it disconnected and let the engineer commision the fire?

Please no wagging fingers, just some straight up advice.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
it's not weather you "feel " competent it's can you prove it if anything goes wrong

remember it's your arse in the dock when the judge puts the black cap on :eek:

Not this one again :LOL:

Its the by products of combustion that you need to worry about i.e are they ALL being taken out of the room. This is what kills people even if all joints you have made are leak free :(

Neither the Kennel Club, HSE or Bliars cronies are concerned about DIY gas, so carryon regardless.

Can you stick a P between the S & H

Sponsored Links
doitall said:

Lost me there with that one..lol. Care to expand?

I just want to know if it's legal, it WILL get checked over by a CORGI engineer.

ashyx said:
doitall said:

Lost me there with that one..lol. Care to expand?

I just want to know if it's legal, it WILL get checked over by a CORGI engineer.

Ashyx + an P

= asphyx :LOL:

Its not illegal to DIY, stupid but not illegal.

But it is illegal to wire it to the electric unless you have part P

Ok, I'm taking onboard everything that is said. I want to be safe.
All I want to do is ensure the installation is correct and ready to go so a CORGI engineer can come round check things over and commission the fire.
Now come on guys if it's OK'd by the engineer then surely it's safe. I just want to now where I stand regarding the law on this.

It's no good fitting it myself if ( I'll leave the gas connection to the engineer) it's not legal.

The reason I'm asking is because I did have safety training from BG, so I'm quite aware of the risks and won't be taking any chances.
It WILL get tested by an engineer BEFORE being connected to the supply.

I say yes, go for it. DIY in your own home is allowed if you are competent. You will only get into trouble if you do something wrong. However, if you are having it checked/commissioned by a corgi before you use it then you are not breaking any laws.

You may also need to consider Building Regs Part L l
The exceptions assessment procedure, for fitting a non condensing boiler.

OK fair enough, it seems the right thing to do is to get a CORGI engineer to fit the fire.
I have checked the fireplace opening and it needs adjusting to the right dimensions, so I will do that myself.

I'll let the engineer do the rest. So what would you CORGI engineers charge for fitting a new fire front to an existing boiler?

The fire front is Baxi Bermuda VP and the boiler is a Baxi Bermuda 401.

ashyx said:
The fire front is Baxi Bermuda VP and the boiler is a Baxi Bermuda 401.
Have you checked that those two are compatible? Only fires designed to go with that back boiler can be used.

I would get a CORGI to fit as this will take any worry out of your head (even if you are competant). More money but less stress at the end of the day, plus your guarantee will be valid (if you try registering the fire yourself they will want your Corgi Number etc...).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back