DIY installation of UPVC window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am just about to install a window for my new extension. I have cut the cill to fit and it is level on the brickwork.
What would be the best method of securing the cill to the brickwork and the window frame to the cill.

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
It's usual to screw the cill to the underside of the window, with a bead of silicone between them, and to sit the cill down onto the masonry with silicone beneath it. Use frame fixings at the sides, 150mm from top and bottom (depending where the brick joints are) plus additional side fixings depending on the height of the window; it's generally better to avoid drilling through the top and bottom edges for fixings, especially drilling up into a lintel.

My builder recently helped me fix a new door and showed me his method: plumb and level within the aperture, using plastic shims; fill the gaps with expanding foam; wait a while, then drill and secure with frame fixings after the foam has set. He explained that this approach avoids any possibility of distorting the frame with the fixings.

Thanks for the reply. I found a guide on the internet and it said to screw the cill to the brickwork, I did this with no8 80mm frame fixings at 200mm from ends and one in the centre. I also ran a bead of framefixing sealent under the cill. It then said to screw through the bottom of the window jam into the cill. I haven't yet done this but seems straight forward if a little unsighlty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back