DIY Loft Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

First post on here as I am hoping someone can help with my project.

I have a modern house - built 2006, obviously with truss loft. I am looking at doing a conversion myself as roof height is good etc. I have been looking at Telebeam system which looks good. I wondered if anyone had experience of this? My question is however, why could you not just use aluminium I beams or aluminium box beams in one piece and just buy them off a stockholder. Surely a SE could calculate what was needed?

Does anyone have any other methods for converting a truss loft that a capable 'diyer' could do?

Apologies if this topic has been covered before. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Not all that familiar with Telebeam - except a rough idea of how it works. What I do know is we tried to get some structural aluminium beams a year or two ago and it wasn't easy finding the dimensions needed. Alu extrusions are quite common up to certain sizes but uncommon for larger structural sizes. If I recall, we did find one supplier but the cost was ridiculous. Got a feeling they might have been imported? Not sure where telebeam get them from. Do they have them specially made?

Otherwise you're into steels and timber floor - i.e. a standard loft conversion. Which any struct-eng can calc for you.

IMO loft conversions are more complicated than a bog standard brick extension etc and should only be done by competant people in the know.Do something in the wrong order and you have a big problem on your hands.

IMO loft conversions are more complicated than a bog standard brick extension etc and should only be done by competent people in the know.Do something in the wrong order and you have a big problem on your hands.

I tend to steer clear of L.c's

1. Because i don't like doing them.
2. Because i always feel there is an easier way of gaining space and i don't like doing them.
3. Logistically they are a nightmare and i don't like doing them.

Seriously, as Chukka has wisely stated they ain't easy. Some loft spaces lend themselves to conversion more graciously than others.

Other lofts are simply not convertible. It is usually these unconvertible lofts that are owned by the most enthusiastic of converters.

Sponsored Links
strange how things pan out,last year had a run of 3 roof jobs in a row,at the moment its loft conversions.i dont mind them but they are dirty logistical headaches and what with the tons of kingspan or similar these days not everyones cup of tea.but its work.

Thanks for the comments so far. I realise a LC is not the easiest job but for my property is the best solution. I want extra bedroom space so this works for me.

Does anyone have any comments on the telebeam system or alternatives? Has anyone used box beams instead of I-Beams?

I have a source for aluminium I beams. They are pretty reasonable so I am ok with the cost but just concerned about the best route to go. Any more input appreciated.

Does anyone have any comments on the telebeam system or alternatives?

I think the Telebeam System is somewhat expensive albeit that it looks simple to install but to date I haven't found a suitable alternative. I note that you are considering aluminium I beams ...

I have a source for aluminium I beams. They are pretty reasonable so I am ok with the cost but just concerned about the best route to go. Any more input appreciated.

.. so similar to the Telebeam system! How do they compare on price? Also have you had these checked by a structural engineer, remember that the beams have to support the weight of the existing roof together with the new floor.

What are the dimensions of your proposed 'I' beams?

Does anyone have any comments on the telebeam system or alternatives?

I think the Telebeam System is somewhat expensive albeit that it looks simple to install but to date I haven't found a suitable alternative. I note that you are considering aluminium I beams ...

.. so similar to the Telebeam system! How do they compare on price? Also have you had these checked by a structural engineer, remember that the beams have to support the weight of the existing roof together with the new floor.

What are the dimensions of your proposed 'I' beams?

Hi There. Thanks for your interest.
I haven't had the calcs done yet by a SE but I estimate that I will get a beam for approx 150gbp. I need 26 of them for the telebeam system and they are approx 300gbp per beam, so quite a saving.

What I meant by my post was surely you could just use an I beam or a box beam?? right the way across in one piece. If you get the right size beam and it is cheaper than the telebeam, is it really any different? This is what I was looking for comments on.

A 50% saving is excellent, I certainly hope it works out for you! I received a quote for £11.5K + vat which I thought was one heck of a price, so of course I'm looking for an alternative. Having looked at the Telebeam System it seems that each beam is made up of two 'I' beams (outriggers) that are pushed into each end of a box beam (floor beam). This allows for the span to be shorten or extended as required but since Telebeam supposedly supply the beams for each individual job I'm curious as to why the don't supply the beam at an exact length as just an 'I' beam, why supply the box beam? Does it increase the rigidity?

i'm currently undergoing telebeam LC, for my install the price was very comparible and is relativly a competant DIY's job - i'm just getting trades in for fitting velux, stairs and doing final fix for plumbing and bathroom.
Lookily i have a central spine wall running the extent of teh building so the telebeams cantelever over this - cutting the cost by 50% as only need 1 telebeam per truss.

From my understanding the box section and i beams combined are stronger, but certainly get a SE to check out your ali I beam's as this might be cheaper still.

I spent months researching and got quotes from all the popular loft conv companies, at least 5 of them, and they quotes all came in between 30 and 40K, but with telebeam i think the finsl costs are going to be around 20K all in.

hope this helps - would be good to see who else have used telebeam - i would certainly recommend them - very professional!

i'm currently undergoing telebeam LC, for my install the price was very comparible and is relativly a competant DIY's job - i'm just getting trades in for fitting velux, stairs and doing final fix for plumbing and bathroom.

I would think that if your able to install the Telebeam system then fitting a Velux will be within your capabilities. Velux supply comprehensive fitting instructions which you can download from their web site. Also, considering that you will have scaffolding for installing the Telebeams then fit the Velux at the same time. Although you don't have to necessarily get onto the roof to fit a Velux!

Lookily i have a central spine wall running the extent of teh building so the telebeams cantelever over this - cutting the cost by 50% as only need 1 telebeam per truss.

Presumably the spine wall is load bearing so why use Telebeam as opposed to beefed up timber floor joists? Timber floor joist (stress graded) would work out at a fraction (say 1/8 or even a 1/10) of the price of Telebeam. The only reason that Telebeam are successful is that most, if not all, modern houses are built with no internal supporting walls on the 1st floor so the telebeam takes all the weight of the roof and floor.

Regards
C.

Hi - thanks for your response.

My LC is in a 1999 built bungalow, span is 8.5m - so 4m+ to spine wall, the od place has no supporting wall due to hallway etc.

The only reason i went for telebeam is because i couldnt find any timber floor joist systems/solutions which would span the distance without me needing to add steels from gable to gable, and even then the joists would have to be clear half the span and would be 220mm or more, without steels would only be possible if i cud taper the ends of the joists to fit on the wall plat and even if this was possible - i'd loose too much head height, so although the cost worked out to be much higher than timber (even if possible) i'd save at least 2" - 4", which is worth the cost i thought.

diyloft";p="1496546 said:
Hi All,

Does anyone have any other methods for converting a truss loft that a capable 'diyer' could do?

I'm in the same boat except my loft is conventional rather than truss, I want to do a DIY conversion so don't want to use heavy steel beams, I looked into using box section beams from Birtly who manufacture Catnic style lintels, they do one with a cross section of approx 4"X10"ish that I'm sure they said would support 4 Tons on a 3meter span. What I'm a bit worried about is if these box beams will do the job and 1 man can lift and fit them why doesn't everyone use them, am I missing something ?

BadlyDrawnPhil";p="1559231 said:
Hi All,

I'm in the same boat except my loft is conventional rather than truss, I want to do a DIY conversion so don't want to use heavy steel beams, I looked into using box section beams from Birtly who manufacture Catnic style lintels, they do one with a cross section of approx 4"X10"ish that I'm sure they said would support 4 Tons on a 3meter span. What I'm a bit worried about is if these box beams will do the job and 1 man can lift and fit them why doesn't everyone use them, am I missing something ?

What's the cost comparison like compared with stress graded timber or timber I beams for that matter?

Regards
C.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back