DIY LOFT ( HELP PLEASE).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone this is my 1st post on this forum and I am looking for some help with my plans to convert my loft into a bedroom for my daughter.
I live in a mid terraced house which was three bedrooms when bought but have since changed to 2 when I installed a new bathroom. Now we need another room and the loft is looking good.
I have installed 2 velux windows on the rear slate roof and now want to strengthen the floor. This is where the problem starts.

On removing all the insulation to expose the joists I notice that they rest on the middle brick built supporting walls but do not rest on the outer walls due to my house having belled ceilings in the upstairs rooms. The joists are nailed to the roof rafters. Can anyone advise on how to strengthen the floor in this situation and would joist hangers from the main lower purlins be acceptable because they are 9 inch by 4 inch and run from party wall to party wall.
Any comments appreciated thanks Mike.

Sponsored Links
that's not straight forward and you may want to have a chat to an SE. I assume you are involving building control, have a chat with them too as they might insist on a SE anyway.

You cannot go hanging new joists off the existing roof structure, without strengthening it.

There are other ways of achieving your aim, without using the existing roof for support, but you need to engage an SE to advise you as to what is possible. Your LABC will insist on calculations: there is nothing that is ok by inspection in this instance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back