DIY refelting concrete flat garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've got a small garage on the side of my house that needs refelting. It's a concrete flat roof which connects to the neighbours garage. What is the best method to refelt this on myside? I'm thinking of going with a 2 ply torch on, with the cap sheet being torch on mineral felt. Any tips on how best to do this from experienced roofers so I can avoid newbie mistakes (I do have some experience with stick building pitched roofs). The roof has 1 internal upstand corner between the house and a soldier course of bricks at the front of the garage and a concrete raised lip at the back of the garage which leads to a shared drainage point. Main reason for me doing this is I can't get anyone to do the job quickly and they don't inspire me with confidence that they will do a proper job without shortcuts. I have considered EPDM and GRP but I'm not keen on either of these for various reasons.

Sponsored Links
Anybody able to answer the following?
1) What's the best thickness of torch on to use for the underlay and cap layer and best brand to use
2) For the overlaps what is the best bead size to achieve on the flat and upstands
3) Are drips only supposed to be formed from the cap sheet or is the underlay supposed to be dripped too
4) For the flashing area, I'm thinking of using the traditional way of bedding the torch on sheet into the wall, is it normal practice to bed both the underlay and cap sheet layer in or just attach the underlay to the surface of the brick then overlay and bed the cap sheet layer into the mortar joint and what's the best sectional length for these.
5) Some people put aluminium paint on top of the cap sheet or use copper fronted cap sheet, what's the purpose of this, is it recommended and what does the finish look like
6) What is the best size of propane bottle to get to do a 2 ply on 18m2

Any advice much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back