diy replace toilet cystern ?

Sponsored Links
you can do it, isolate the water supply,flush the toilet, disconnect the supply pipe, disconnect the flush pipe, remove cistern, replace in reverse order

S/S, thank you.
Can you tell me if all toilet cysterns are the same in and out fitting measurments, or are thay all differant
Can you tell just by looking at my pic, what one i should get?

Thank you.
wufer.

they all variy on size slightly.
some may have a bottom entry or side entry mains supply, can't see yours in pic.
most will have the flush handle at front. which would be better.
when you get one offer it up to the wall and make sure the flush pipe fits ok then you can mark the cistern holes on the wall.
once the wall is drilled secure cistern to wall and tighten flush pipe.
then all you may have to do is alter the main supply pipe to fit the position of the float valve.

Sponsored Links
does look abit of a pig but it can be done.
if you didn't want to use that pipe cap it off and get a bottom entry and run a new pipe from the basin cold feed to the bottom of cistern.

Would it be a Diy job to replace a toilet cystern, or would it be better to get the "man who knows" it do it.

I think you might struggle to get everything to line up just right and connect with the inlet you have there now. seco's alternative of capping off your current supply and running a new one from the sink may prove easier for you but then I don't know the extent of your skills and you may find cutting into the sink supply and running a new supply to the cistern difficult too!

Do you know where your current supply pipe is coming from? It may be easier to trace back where that pipe is coming from, cut it back so you have a straight length to connect to, then connect to that with a new supply. If your plumbing skills aren't great then you could run this new supply in Plastic Pipe. This may prove easier for you and will certainly be easier to line up the new supply to where ever your new cistern requires it. If you do either of these suggestions you should really install an isolation valve inline too. This is part of the regs and is good practice but its your call on that one. Remember, if you are using plastic pipe, you MUST use pipe inserts.

Well that does it.
It sound too much for me to do.

So, thank you all for your help but ill get a plumber to do it.

Thanks again.
Derek.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back