DIY soundproofing a single wall from low frequency "thu

S

skuba

i've recently moved in to a new house and the integral garage has been converted in to a room where i plan to play my electric drum kit. the trouble is because it's an integral garage you can still hear me hitting the pads. does anyone know of a way to help reduce the low end "thuds" from passing through the walls?

just to reiterate, i'm not trying to create a professional soundproofing solution for a real acoustic drum kit with cymbals etc, i'm just trying to lessen the volume of the "thuds" when i hit the rubber pads

Sponsored Links
There are some bass boxes used by sound recordists which reduce the echos at low frequencies. They work apparently, but they cost a lot. £600 for a 2' x 4" panel :eek: . But then dealing with bass is difficult, very difficult.

I could hear my Son playing his keyboard in his bedroom even though he was using headphones. The solution I came up with was to get the instrument isolated from the wall / floor / anything that would carry the vibrations. Anything soft and spongy with lots of air cells should help reduce this.

If the sound is being transmitted through the air alone then you will need to put similar material on the party walls, doors, door frames, any surface the sound wave could hit. This will absorb the energy and stop it being transmitted off the other side of the wall / door etc into the other rooms.

A little covering on all surfaces is better than lots of covering on some surfaces, the sound will still get through the uninsulated bits!

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back