DIY Tool Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just bought a new house that needs quite a bit of work doing to it. I'm going to try and do a lot of my own work on the place. Just general DIY really. Been looking for a large, reliable toolbox to store my tools for this project. I've been looking at this one.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=110973

Stanley Galvanised Metal Rolling Workshop 1 92 154

Can anyone recommend it or point me to a better more suitable one for the job.

Sponsored Links
I've had a good look at these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-Pro-Structural-Foam-Toolbox/dp/B0001IX6KW in the local builders merchants - they are the business. I saw these after I bought my Stanley one :( there's no contest - the lid keeps falling off my Stanley but the Irwin looks proper well made.
Pretty sure you's struggle to carry that trolley upstairs if you needed to. You could get 2 of the Irwin ones delivered for less than that shiney beitch model! ;)
EDIT: Just though, with a name like Jo, are you female? :oops: In which case you could go for the shiney one. :D

gcol said:
I've had a good look at these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-Pro-Structural-Foam-Toolbox/dp/B0001IX6KW in the local builders merchants - they are the business. I saw these after I bought my Stanley one :( there's no contest - the lid keeps falling off my Stanley but the Irwin looks proper well made.
Pretty sure you's struggle to carry that trolley upstairs if you needed to. You could get 2 of the Irwin ones delivered for less than that shiney beitch model! ;)
EDIT: Just though, with a name like Jo, are you female? :oops: In which case you could go for the shiney one. :D

I've actually thought about that IRWIN tool box but have read at a few places that the tote tray warps and becomes usesless. Also the yellow containers on top are easily broke. I need something sturdy and strong. Which is why I'm asking about the Stanley one.

The wheels should help me get it upstairs but even if not, it breaks off into 3 seperate tool boxes with carry handles for each. The top tool box is nearly the size of the Irwin. I need quite a bit of space.

Ha I'm a male mate ;)

i bought the plastic stanley box http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=10480&MAN=Stanley-Rolling-Workshop-Xl-1-92-279 about 4 years ago and have found it to be quite a sturdy box. Like the one you mentioned it breaks down into 3 parts meaning you can take just the sections you need.

The wheels make it easy to pull up stairs, and the handle on the top box is strong enough to ba able to lift the whole fully laden 3 section tool box up by.

The down sides are
a) drawers of the plastic one warp when heavily loaded making the sliding a little sticky.
b)The pull along handle sticks up to high preventing the lid of the top box from staying opening without being held with one hand (which makes lifting the tote tray out to retrieve something from under it a little tricky.
c) the bottom section will only be big enough to take a small drill and a jigsaw and won't protect them very well

I'd go and have a look at the metal box version and see if the same problems occur. if not i would suggest it will be a good box.

Let me know which one you go for, as i'm looking to replace my plastic version with something a little sturdier in the near future.[/url]

Sponsored Links
I've just ordered the Stanley Galvanised Metal Rolling Workshop 1 92 154 pretty expensive at £95 delivered. I'll let you know what it's like teahead next week when I get my hands on it.

I've just looked at the one you've got and the galvanised metal one I've ordered. It says the metal one has a couple of cm on the plastic one - 7 cm in width and 9cm in length.

The Irwin trays do warp; they're also impractically bulky and don't stack well with other boxes and stuff.

IMHO there's only one decent toolbox:

Unfortunately if you overload them the lid splits around the handle mount.

I still say that you can't beat these:

But if you don't like those, then I can also recommend these:

the guy that invents one that survives in the back of a van and allows you to store tools neatly and easily will make an absolute fortune :D

Karl Austin said:
I have the stanley, I'm a bit disappointed with it to be honest, the metalwork is paper thin, the bottom section if you fill it, bends like crazy when you pull it open. Granted, you can fit a lot in it, but I'm not all that impressed for the money.

I have a couple of these as well: http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=120772&MAN=Stanley-Professional-Mobile-Tool-Chest-1-92-083 (Not the exact one shown there, one of mine has two trays, one has only the one tray.)

On that note I canceled my order and am now on the lookout for a new tool box. :confused: I don't think there's a toolbox out there that is good is there? Normally with products there's always one or two that rule the market. Tool boxes seem to be all poorly made and ****.

Jo Go said:
I don't think there's a toolbox out there that is good is there?
Are my posts invisible, or are you blind? :D

Softus said:
Jo Go said:
I don't think there's a toolbox out there that is good is there?
Are my posts invisible, or are you blind? :D

You don't sell your equipment well "if you over load them the lid splits around the handle mount". I've got quite a bit of stuff I need storing and chances are that handle mount is on it's way out. Sorry mate, might come back to that but I'll keep looking for the minute. ;)

Jo Go said:
You don't sell your equipment well "if you over load them the lid splits around the handle mount".
Hence it's best not to overload them. This is the only flaw on an otherwise brilliant toolbox.

If you can't afford the best, then the Stanley 26" is fine and dandy.

BTW, I'm not selling these, either figuratively or otherwise. But I should point out that your own choice of toolbox was particularly poor, so it'll be interesting to see what you end up with. :)

Softus said:
Jo Go said:
You don't sell your equipment well "if you over load them the lid splits around the handle mount".
Hence it's best not to overload them. This is the only flaw on an otherwise brilliant toolbox.

If you can't afford the best, then the Stanley 26" is fine and dandy.

BTW, I'm not selling these, either figuratively or otherwise. But I should point out that your own choice of toolbox was particularly poor, so it'll be interesting to see what you end up with. :)

Ha thanks, can't argue with you there though.

I've been looking at these...

http://www.vetopropac.com/

Not as big as I'd like but maybe my choice could be one of these and then a tub or something of the sort for my larger tools.

Expensive bags but what's your opinion on these hold alls?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back