DIYer help

Sponsored Links
BAS is there really a need to be so critical, you have no evidence that he/she was deliberately lying & not just trying to dress up their problem in it's best light in order to get advice, we all make mistakes you know :(

Why do you think he lies? Saying that you had something "put in" doesn't give any information about who actually put it in.
There is a fundamental and glaringly obvious difference between "I had something done" and "I did something".

The former means "somebody else did it", the latter means "I did it".

BAS is there really a need to be so critical, you have no evidence that he/she was deliberately lying & not just trying to dress up their problem in it's best light in order to get advice, we all make mistakes you know :(
So you're suggesting that spils didn't lie, just deliberately wrote something false in order to conceal the truth?

FFS he admitted it soon enough.

We get plenty of people who talk about imaginary electricians who've "gone on holiday" or "been taken ill"

Sponsored Links
There is a fundamental and glaringly obvious difference between "I had something done" and "I did something".

The former means "somebody else did it", the latter means "I did it".
Well, if we are precise to the letter as you usually are :) "I had something done" means only that the thing is done, it might imply but doesn't explicitly say that "somebody else did it"

and on the plus side, I'll be on to LABC first thing on Monday morning to get them round for an inspection so surely that's the best outcome for everyone. apologies if my original post was misleading but this has been a learning experience and I'm grateful for all of the constructive input that has been offered.

i then routed it along and took it straight up a cavity between the bathroom and bedroom into the loft

When you say cavity - what do you mean exactly here, as there may be a safe zone issue?

i then took it behind the skirting to a fused switch on the wall

Is this going straight up from the floor behind the skirting, or along the skirting (if the latter then it will be out of a safe zone most likely)?

rebuke - the cavity is difficult to describe but effectively there is an air gap between the bedroom, bathroom and landing. the air gap is completely sealed by plasterboard and could be classed as wasted space. it's about 20cm sq and can be accessed from the loft. why could this be a safe zone issue - because there is no appliance on the wall that the cable runs up or another reason?

re the skirting - i did it all at right angles so the cable runs along the floor behind the skirting then does 90 degrees and runs directly upwards into the fused switch. same for the 2g plate. is there an issue with running cable behind skirting?

BAS thinks telling your kids that father christmas brings their christmas presents is a form of child abuse. :rolleyes:
Absolutely - just as is any other work of fiction designed to entertain - I'm glad you have the intelligence to see that that is just the same as one adult attempting to mislead others in a non-fictional context.

I picked it up from the start as a DIY job. So no lies were told.

the first 3 words of the second sentence were "I have had.." when they should have been "I have..."..

that's like saying "someone crashed my car into another".. when you really mean "I crashed into another car.."

rebuke - the cavity is difficult to describe but effectively there is an air gap between the bedroom, bathroom and landing. the air gap is completely sealed by plasterboard and could be classed as wasted space. it's about 20cm sq and can be accessed from the loft. why could this be a safe zone issue - because there is no appliance on the wall that the cable runs up or another reason?

If it's less than 50mm from the surface of either wall, and there's no accessory (socket, switch etc) to indicate its presence, then it isn't in a safe zone (i.e. there is a risk someone could drilling a hole in the wall will hit it, as there's no indication it's there). If there's more than 50mm distance from each bit of plasterboard, then it's OK.

re the skirting - i did it all at right angles so the cable runs along the floor behind the skirting then does 90 degrees and runs directly upwards into the fused switch. same for the 2g plate. is there an issue with running cable behind skirting?

As has been said, behind skirting is not a safe zone - safe zones run horizontally across from and vertically above and below an accessory, along with a few others (150mm from the ceiling, and 150mm from the angle formed by two walls).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back