DIYIdoits's shower cable question.

[QUOTE="this thread was so mixed up earlier that was the the impression I got of your intention.[/QUOTE]

I seem to have a talent for that, thanks for clarifying.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Gary, is this absolutely necessary?
Only if you are creating a new circuit, this thread was so mixed up earlier that was the the impression I got of your intention, but now reviewing the thread in a more complete aspect that I understand is not what you are doing.
One of the things that the OP is contemplating doing (subject to clarification of the cable installation method) is to change the MCB to a higher-rated one. I think that some would probably argue that such would constitute "creating a new circuit", hence not only requiring 30mA RCD protection (in a bathroom) but also becoming notifiable.

Kind Regards, John

[QUOTE="However, if you did find that some of the 6mm² cable is buried in thermal insulation, something ought to be done about that. Since replacing the whole cable with a larger one would presumably be a pain, the simplest solution, if practicable, would be to 'get it out of the insulation'.[/QUOTE]

Thanks John, that makes sense. The isolating switch is currently wall mounted in the airing cupboard, I intend to change this to a ceiling mounted pull cord switch, this should give me enough slack to move the cable out of the insulation if it is there and clamp it to the wall if it isn't already.

Sponsored Links
Changing the RCD to a 30mA might not be required, but it's desirable.
If the 100mA RCD is (as would most commonly be the case) an installation-wide one in a TT installation, it might be more a question of adding a 30mA RCD to the final circuit in question than of changing the existing one.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John, that makes sense. The isolating switch is currently wall mounted in the airing cupboard, I intend to change this to a ceiling mounted pull cord switch, this should give me enough slack to move the cable out of the insulation if it is there and clamp it to the wall if it isn't already.
Fair enough. Can you tell us more about the conduit?

Kind Regards, John

It's just plastic box stuff from the sheds, fixed onto the wall, not buried in the plaster. It doesn't go into the ceiling or floor either.

Why I didn't do this earlier I don't know:
20151102_175525.jpg
20151102_175539.jpg
20151102_175621.jpg
20151102_175705.jpg
20151102_175755.jpg

One of the things that the OP is contemplating doing (subject to clarification of the cable installation method) is to change the MCB to a higher-rated one. I think that some would probably argue that such would constitute "creating a new circuit", hence not only requiring 30mA RCD protection (in a bathroom) but also becoming notifiable.
How can it be creating a new circuit if all the wiring of the circuit is already there and in use?

How can it be creating a new circuit if all the wiring of the circuit is already there and in use?
Don't open that can of worms again!

Yours is one school of thought, the other is that by changing the OPD you are altering the characteristics of the circuit significantly enough for it to become a 'new circuit'.

See Iggifer's comment on what some people believe.

There's nothing particularly logical about some views/guesses as to what does (and does not) constitute 'a new circuit' (or, even, 'a circuit' - given that, by BS7671 definition, everything downstream of an FCU is a single circuit, separate from that upstream of the FCU). You could equally well ask how one could not be creating a new circuit if virtually none of the wiring of the circuit was previously there (maybe only a few inches of cable from CU to a socket - or perhaps even an FCU or JB) - but many, maybe even most, people believe that to be the case.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back