Do extensions need PP if erected before 1st July 1948

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at buying a property built c1900. It has 2 extensions on it for a sitting room and a dining room, but it's not clear when they were built. I phoned local planning and they only had planning for a garage in 1968.

I expect all of this will come out in conveyancing, but before I offer and instruct a solicitor, does anyone know if extensions built prior to 1st July 1948 need planning? (I am hoping the answer is no, and they were indeed built prior to 1948, otherwise it looks like a no go as they don't have planning)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It wouldn't make any difference either way because any extension older than 4 years is immune from planning enforcement.

Just as a follow up, and hypothetically speaking... If you lived in the sticks with few neighbours, few passing planning officers, and you put up an extension that should have planning, but doesn't...after 4 years of no one noticing, does this means no enforcement can be taken? I am in no way condoning that type of action, it just seems a bit strange :confused: Maybe the searches would reveal an unlawfull extension but too old to be subject of an enforcement order?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just as a follow up, and hypothetically speaking... If you lived in the sticks with few neighbours, few passing planning officers, and you put up an extension that should have planning, but doesn't...after 4 years of no one noticing, does this means no enforcement can be taken?

Yes.

I am in no way condoning that type of action,

Perish the thought.

it just seems a bit strange :confused:

Strange but true.

Maybe the searches would reveal an unlawfull extension but too old to be subject of an enforcement order?

Thanks

There are several proviso's to the four year rule

There are precedent cases where the development would not be deemed lawful after four years where there had been deliberate deception, dishonesty or subterfuge. This will also be dealt with in the new Localism Act

There is also the issue of whether the ten year rule applies instead

So its not always a straightforward case of being scott-free after four years

Id be apealling aswell if i had gone to all that trouble! Youd have thought hed had been a bit more subtle, i mean a castle.... Should have atleast started off witha stately home :)

Id be apealling aswell if i had gone to all that trouble! Youd have thought hed had been a bit more subtle, i mean a castle.... Should have atleast started off witha stately home :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back