Do I fix a 35 year old boiler or replace it?

If it can be viably fixed then fix it. I just revived an old 'new world stowaway' last week in a similar situation.
A problem I find lately is that 24v gas valves such as Honeywell v8800c are getting hard to come by, leaving me with the choice of trying to get a 24v solenoid or converting to 240v and fitting a v4400c. Its not often I get away without fitting a new pilot tube kit as well.
They should get another 5 - 10 years out of it now at least.

That means they wont have to lay out the £2k or whatever for a new combi.
They might have to pay £100 a year for the old boilers inefficiency but this is balanced somewhat by the number of parts in a new boiler that can and do go wrong as soon as the guarantee runs out.

An old boiler will tolerate sludge in your system better than a new one.
This would have to be very thoroughly cleansed so it doesn't kill a more temperamental new boiler.

Just because a system is old and 8mm doesnt mean it needs powerflushing. Has it had inhibitor in it? Do you have cold spots on your rads? are there rads not heating up?
My mothers heating system is 8mm open vented and 31 years old. Its had inhibitor in it for about 27 of those years and still works perfectly.

Don't get me wrong about this. If you are an eco freak then do whatever your conscience tells you. If the boiler or system has other issues or problems then do take them into consideration.

You will find that BG probably wont take you on for a repair scheme and they will soon be trying all the tricks to sell you a new system if you can get on it.
What I suggest is that you fix what you have and stick £5 a week that you would have spent on the repair scheme into a savings account for future repairs or the dreaded day when it has to go.

Repair schemes are basically insurance. Insurance brokers are there to make a profit. Why pay for their existence as well as the repairman?

Sponsored Links
A problem I find lately is that 24v gas valves such as Honeywell v8800c are getting hard to come by................Its not often I get away without fitting a new pilot tube kit as well.

Thanks for the info.

The bottom line is I can't afford £2,000+ for a new boiler right now so I have to fix it if possible.

I've got the original GW manual and the gas valve is a honeywell V8800C and I've found a couple of suppliers on the web who sell them for around £120 - do you know if they are likely to be genuine or are there companies supplying sub-standard copies?
The problem I've had is locating a pilot assembly. I called the manufacturer of the existing pilot (Maclaren) and they told me the product is obsolete and there is no equivalent available. Any suggestions?
There's a similar problem with the thermocouple, but I've been told that there are equivalents available. Any recommendations or makes I should avoid?

Hi,
I recently moved to a house with a 35 year old boiler (Glow-worm 105-120) which was ticking along nicely until 3 days ago. I can light the pilot light which in turn lights the burners, but the pilot doesn't stay lit so I only get one blast from the burners. A heating engineer cleaned the pilot today but it didn't help. He advised that the gas valve needs replacing and probably the pilot assembly and thermocouple. He also said the system needs flushing as it looks like it's never been serviced. I have a few questions:

1. Any ideas on where I can get spares for such an old boiler?
2. Are there any known problems power flushing a 15 rad system run on 8mm pipes?
3. Can I get a replacement open vented system & can I use the existing 8mm pipes if I do?
4. Should I just replace it with a Combi?

Thanks in advance

Get yourself a quality high flow combi: Atmos, Viessmann, ACV, Atag, Buderus, Ethos. You will never look back. Get rid of the expensive to run scrap iron

Hi,
I recently moved to a house with a 35 year old boiler (Glow-worm 105-120) which was ticking along nicely until 3 days ago. I can light the pilot light which in turn lights the burners, but the pilot doesn't stay lit so I only get one blast from the burners. A heating engineer cleaned the pilot today but it didn't help. He advised that the gas valve needs replacing and probably the pilot assembly and thermocouple. He also said the system needs flushing as it looks like it's never been serviced. I have a few questions:

2. Are there any known problems power flushing a 15 rad system run on 8mm pipes?
3. Can I get a replacement open vented system & can I use the existing 8mm pipes if I do?

Thanks in advance

Get yourself a quality high flow combi: Atmos, Viessmann, ACV, Atag, Buderus, Ethos. You will never look back. Get rid of the expensive to run scrap iron

His old boiler will probably outlast any of the above boilers.

Get it repaired.

Energy efficiency is not about saving money!

Crawl back from whence you came Drivel!

Sponsored Links
Just change the thermocouple and all will be well.

An universal one from any plumbers merchant should fit about £7 quid

Energy efficiency is not about saving money!

As an installer I am legally bound to install a boiler that has a minimum fuel efficiency standard. This is the law.

If the government made the manufacturers make their products with long term quality & energy efficiency in mind NOT just fuel efficiency we would see the squables over boiler reliability, old versus new go away.

Make an installer fit an efficient boiler.

Make the manufaturers give an efficiency standard based on perceived lifetime of the boiler combined with fuel efficiency.

As an installer if I was given the opportunity to install a boiler with a complete/full ten year guarantee (subject to fair useage and annual maintenance), perhaps to qualify I had to go on their training course or have a post installation inspection, I can say now I would offer this service to my customers immediately.

That, in my opinion, is energy awareness and efficiency.

BookerT, why do you need a new gas valve and pilot assemply ? What will that improve ?
(We know the thermocouple will hold the pilot on).

BookerT, why do you need a new gas valve and pilot assemply ? What will that improve ?
(We know the thermocouple will hold the pilot on).
I'm just going by what the heating engineer told me. Do you think it could be something else? The pilot does stay on long enough to light the burners.

A problem I find lately is that 24v gas valves such as Honeywell v8800c are getting hard to come by, leaving me with the choice of trying to get a 24v solenoid or converting to 240v and fitting a v4400c.

errr...isn't that a little bit illegal??

I think you just need a new thermocouple - the thermocouple deteriates gradually over the years until it no longer generates enough voltage to hold the pilot on. It looks like your thermocouple is just on the borderline - it works for a minute or two - enough to light the burners. As the burners take gas, the pilot probably goes down a bit and the thermocoule cuts out because it's just on the borderline. Soon, the thermocouple will not hold at all.
Anyrate, a new thermocouple will prove it one way or other.

A problem I find lately is that 24v gas valves such as Honeywell v8800c are getting hard to come by, leaving me with the choice of trying to get a 24v solenoid or converting to 240v and fitting a v4400c.

errr...isn't that a little bit illegal??

Swapping the solenoid isn't I have changed them many a time using a honeywell kit.
Converting to 240 is a bit of a gray area now theres part p and Ad-hoc rules kicking about, so yes its a little bit naughty, but changing from 24 to 240 is only what the manufacturers did themselves anyway. So long as the wiring could be sorted safely; its a method I have used as a last resort. Point taken though as these days it does have a lot more implications than it used to. I accept I shouldn't have mentioned it.

Hi,

Thanks in advance

His old boiler will probably outlast any of the above boilers.

Absolute nonsense!

bit of a thread revival hijack.... have a glowworm 105-120 with a
v804a 1055 3 24 v 8017 gasvalve

can it be replaced with a

HONEYWELL-SOLENOID-OPERATOR-V804A-1056-24V-COMPLETE-WITH-GASKETS-V804A-

boiler is still working oki was serviced 2 days oki but he put willies up em saying you cant get parts/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back