Old Boiler not firing up

Contact Gas Safe either online or by phone.They can put you in touch with a suitably qualified engineer in your area.

Sponsored Links
Are you able to use a multimeter safely?

If so, establish that you are getting a switched live at the boiler,
then check you are getting a live signal at the main burner solonoid.

I have not done anything to the gas itself. All I did was change the thermocouple which of course I didn't need to do. Room stat working and buttons (ignition gas inlet and red gas off fully out)

Changing the thermocouple does need to be done by a gas engineer as its a safety device associated with the gas combustion.

The same applies to fans, overheat stats, combustion chamber covers and everything directly connected to burning gas in the boiler.

You can measure the resistance of the gas valve solenoid and you can also measure the voltage across it when it should be operating.

Tony

I have not done anything to the gas itself. All I did was change the thermocouple

I'm afraid these two statements are contradictory as you'll have had to remove the cover to get to the thermocouple, and doing that requires an RGI. Did you do all the necessary checks before refitting said cover? I doubt it, because you almost certainly don't know what they are.

Get an RGI in.

Sponsored Links
Not been able to get my old boiler fired up for years, had to resort to getting hot by other means :cry:

I have had a plumber round who is on recommendation from a friend. he seemed to think it shouldn't be a problem to fix though he needs to source the part and find out what is wrong. The other option is a conventional Baxi boiler where the current one is in the kitchen, remote timer and a radiator flush for around £1300 but we still are not able to pay that amount yet so will go for keeping it going longer. he didn't try and push for us to buy a new one. I asked about a combi but he said he prefers them. I think I will stick with this one as it's built much better than the new combis that only last a few years and seem to have no end of problems (from what we hear from friends and relatives experience)

It is tempting to loan the money but for a couple of hundred to get it fixed we will be saving more (including the inefficiency of it)

Has your valve got 2 square buttons, one red and one white? If so, you use to be able to change the solenoid, I assume that you still can.

When trying to fire the boiler, you use to hear a click, but now you can't?

it may be a simple external power supply fault, first thing is to check for 240v across L & N on the valve.

I would avoid buying a valve yourself, at least iniy=tially. You need to hire a RGI. He should inspect the boiler BEFORE ordeering parts. On one hand you may not need a valve, but on the other he may find that there are serious rust holes in the lower combustion chamber, in which case he will ID it (disconnect), and your purchase would be wasted.

Phone an RGI and explain the situation, most of us can identify faults within 1 minute and 3 or 4 questions. We won't neccesarilly give you the answers free of charge though!

Phone an RGI and explain the situation, most of us can identify faults within 1 minute and 3 or 4 questions. We won't neccesarilly give you the answers free of charge though!

Very well said!

I certainly always charge to diagnose faults although I will sometimes give a budgetary price for the total repair over the phone based on my expectation of what may be wrong. When asked what I think is wrong, I answer that until I have visited and confirmed my diagnosis there is no point in my suggesting anything.

Unfortunately there is a proportion of people who think that RGIs are only there to give free fault diagnosis over the phone so that they can fix it themselves.

I even had one in London, my local area, who telephoned me at 1600hrs on a Sunday afternoon saying he had seen my details on this forum and that I gave people a free diagnosis. I told him that as a business we have to charge for our services.

I explained that we always charge to diagnose faults and offered to go to him within the hour. Surprise, surprise he declined! No apology for wasting my time either.

Tony

Having it fitted new for £200. Nothing checked, just replacing the valve.

I dont understand the last post.

Any new gas valve has to be adjusted for correct operation when its fitted in a boiler.

Tony

As I said, having it fitted new for £200. New valve in old boiler.

It's not as if we were not going to pay a decent amount.

Thats a matter of opinion.

First an RGI has to come to diagnose the fault, then he has to source the part which is time consuming in your case and then he has to fit and adjust it.

We would charge a fee of £84 to diagnose the fault which would only leave £116 to pay for the new valve. Where can you get one at all for this boiler let alone at that price.

There are some RGIs who would say they can so something like supply and fit an obsolete part for £200 just to wind you up.

Most rare gas valves are about £240 if you can ever find one!

Tony

He hasn't diagnosed the fault at all. He said he can get the part and fit it. It's a friend of a friend. When he found out that he was a friend also of a few of our family members he said "I will look after you". To suggest he is winding us up is ridiculous. Why would he do that ? Why not just say "sorry, can't do it". You can see from earlier posts on this subject that you can get the part.

Here is the part:

http://www.spareboilerparts.co.uk/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_HONV4400[/QUOTE]

That is a good question but based on your previous posting he does not seem in a hurry to "look after you".

Well, 3 consecutive days we have waited for the plumber and engineer to come and fix the boiler and he hasn't shown.

Can someone tell me why a lot of (from personal experience) plumbers are notorious for messing their customers about ?

I dont see that as "looking after you!

If thats the correct gas valve for the boiler then if you follow it through to the checkout it is £102.00 with delivery and VAT and not just £69 as someone suggested! Its very important to tell the whole truth!

Whilst I am not a plumber, I dont agree that they have a reputation for messing their customers about.

But many customers have an unrealistic expectation of times. If I go to repair a boiler I have no idea if its going to take 20 minutes or three hours. Nor do I know if I will have any required parts with me or need to order it or when it might be delivered.

That means that I cannot give timed appointments. I once did a repair for a surgeon who totally understood this problem. As he said, once he opens up a patient it might take 25 minute if all goes well or might take six hours or more if there are complications.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back