Do I have a conservatory or and extension?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Do I have a conservatory or and extension?!
The building was added some time in the nighties i would say. It is 3 sides joining the rear of the house in the middle. It has two glazed sides and the other side is just brick. the windows are normal height for a house (ie start at waist height and go to just below the roof. The roof is frosted plastic. It is accessed through a locked door via the kitchen. There is no level difference between the kitchen and said room and is flush as you walk through. There is a window between the kitchen and the room (the door and the window were from the original house and left in place) The downstairs toilet is accessed through it. It houses the bolier and we use it as the utility room. What do you think? I think the due to the roof it could be classed as conservatory, but the way you acces it from the house would be classed as extension.
The reason I ask, is because i am looking to extend the house and if it is classed as an extension then i can use the existing glazed area to add to 25% of the new floor area to give my total area of glazing.
Couple of other minor questions... Does the 25% rule apply to each floor areas (ground and first floors) or just the extension area as a whole (ie just the ground floor area)
I presume skylights would be classed as the same as glazing. Pretty obvious answer i think but worth asking just in case.
Thanks in advance
Ad

Sponsored Links
As you describe it, it appears to be a conservatory.

The maximum area of new glazing you are normally permitted is 25% floor area plus area of any windows/doors which would no longer exist (or be covered in) because of the extension. The glazing in your existing structure would not count.

The 25% refers only to the new floor area, and is nothing to do with the rest of the house.
If you want a higher glass/wall ratio, you can always put additional insulation elsewhere to compensate, eg in the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back