Do I have to put this in maintenance free junction box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Extended a lighting circuit in the ceiling of my extension by using wago 221's

I have neatly placed the wagos in the ceiling and wondered before insulating and plasterboarding do I need to place the wagos in a maintenance free junction box

Is this mandatory?

Also do I need to do anything else before covering the area?

Attachments

• IMG_20230211_141417907~2.jpg
    IMG_20230211_141417907~2.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have neatly placed the wagos in the ceiling and wondered before insulating and plasterboarding do I need to axe the wagos in a maintenance free junction box
When finished, will you be able to access the area for maintenance?

Is this mandatory?
As mandatory as anything is.

Also do I need to do anything else before covering the area?
It depends what you have done so far.

If not accessible for maintenance then should use maintenance free, but no one says what is accessible for maintenance, so no hard and fast rules, and you should not be able to touch live parts without the use of a tool or key, except for a ceiling rose. However if in the void between ceiling and floor boards can be considered as an electrical enclosure again no hard and fast rule, I would say it's not an electrical enclosure so it needs to be in a box requiring a tool or key, but you clearly need a tool to lift floor boards.

I have seen many floor boards marked junction box below, which has then been covered up with some floor covering be it carpet or laminate flooring, so no longer really accessible, but also been on jobs where to maintain a machine it involved knocking down a brick wall, which was re-built after the repair, that was the planned method of maintenance, wall built for fire spread reasons.

So really down to common sense, but can't really have rules based on common sense, I know in my own house there is a join in a cable some where, as starts as red, yellow, blue, and arrives as brown, black, grey, but no idea where it is joined. And I know in a brick house junction boxes with terminal screws have gone for decades without a problem, but in a metal frame building terminal screws have come loose, and with things like batching plants servicing where electricians went around checking tightness of terminals was a regular job, but in a house, even with a 10 years EICR terminals are not tested for tightness, so if not checked, why worry about being maintenance free or not, as even if not maintenance free, no maintenance is done anyway.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't really want all the sawdust and plaster dust to fall into the Wagos over the years, because it wouldn't do them a lot of good, so would want to enclose them anyway.

Of course the junction must be in an enclosure. If the enclosure is not fixed then the entries must provide strain relief god the cables. That’s regulations.
The ceiling void does not count as an enclosure.
Or my whole house could be considered an enclosure!

If the junction is not accessible it needs to be maintenance free.

There’s nothing else to say.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Will place the connectors in a Wagobox.

The ceiling void does not count as an enclosure.
Are you sure? The DNO plant room was considered as an enclosure, where there were bare copper bars carrying the low voltage with not insulation, so if a whole room can be an enclosure, why not the ceiling void?

I think it is wrong not to put in a junction box, as some one may lift boards without knowing we would need to affix labels 1676197233481.pngon the floor boards, as easy to use feel to find things under the boards. Same with door to plant room had 1676197434017.pngon the door, but we consider what is sensible, and we know sensible to put the wires in a lighting junction box, mainly so there is some strain relief on the cables.

However there is a big difference to saying I would not do that, to saying if some one does that it is considered as potential dangerous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back