Do I have to use a radiator tail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I had a problem with my radiator valve in the living room and a friend fixed it for me. I was wondering if he needed to use a radiator tail or is it ok to screw the TRV straight into the radiator? Also after he replaced the valve there is gurgling in the radiator upstairs in the bathroom. I have bled the radiator lots of times but it keeps gurgling, is this something to do with the radiator tail. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Didnt think it was possible to fit a trv without a tail? can you post photo of it?

As for the gurgling noise, this is likely down to air in the system.

The 'tail' of a radiator valve is usually referred to as the part which is screwed in to the radiator itself.

The 'valve' is usually referred to as the L shaped fitting that itroduces water into the radiator.

You can usually use the same 'tail' for TRV's and Lockshields, but it all depends on their age. If its a new one, then you'll likely be able to use the same. If not, it may well require replacing.

Either way, its a wet job. Don't do it unless you have a good understanding of how to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back