Do i know damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have been a plumber for two years but i was hoping to continue on into different trades. I bought a book called "dampness in buildings" by T.A oxley off Ebay and was wondering if anyone had read it or if i described some of the methods would you agree?

1. Use of a "Protimeter" or some moisture reader.

2. If you can read nitrates in the wall you can diagnose as rising damp.

3. The book says rising damp exists as oppose to some people saying it doesn't.

I'd say it was a pretty good book and I have learned quite abit but i want to know is it the best to learn from?

Thanks, Rob.

Sponsored Links
I`ve been a plumber since 1970 - started my apprenticeship then - am sitting here retired now :cool: and one thing I KNOW from these forums is --- Rising Damp DOES NOT exist :LOL: :LOL: :p

I`ve been a plumber since 1970 - started my apprenticeship then - am sitting here retired now :cool: and one thing I KNOW from these forums is --- Rising Damp DOES NOT exist :LOL: :LOL: :p

Oh no here we go again :LOL: :LOL:

If you can read nitrates in the wall you can diagnose as rising damp.
That is interesting. Where else can nitrates come from if not from ground water? While Heritage House believe that rising damp does not exist, their tests have only been with plain water. I have suggested they add salts to their test tanks. With salts, there is a chance of osmosis. With just plain water, I suspect you only get capillary attraction. Generally, they talk a lot of sense and I can believe them that a lot of damp is commonly misdiagnosed.

Sponsored Links
If rising damp does not exist then why when they inject the chemical damp proof course does it seem to fix the problem?

If you can read nitrates in the wall you can diagnose as rising damp.
That is interesting. Where else can nitrates come from if not from ground water? While Heritage House believe that rising damp does not exist, their tests have only been with plain water. I have suggested they add salts to their test tanks. With salts, there is a chance of osmosis. With just plain water, I suspect you only get capillary attraction. Generally, they talk a lot of sense and I can believe them that a lot of damp is commonly misdiagnosed.

Yes that is also what I can't understand...

If rising damp does not exist then why when they inject the chemical damp proof course does it seem to fix the problem?
If you go to the Heritage House link I gave earlier, they have pictures of damp bricks ABOVE a chemical damp course and dry bricks below!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back