Raising Damp Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI Everyone,

I am new to this forum and wanting to get some expert advice. I have rising damp in my property only coming from the internal walls in the dining room, right behind the damp wall is a star case storage area. But there are sign of rising damp on the adjacent wall but not as bad as this wall where it has completely destroyed the deco. I hav tried sealing it with polycell deamp selant but it has seeped through and salts are evident.

Anways the floor is ashfelt and cant see the root of the problem but i definitely know its rising damp. I was thinking of doing the DPC myself as I am abit of a DIY Lover. But just need some advice as to how to tackle it.

1) I am going to hack off the plaster to a metre but shall i use DPC or tanking? What would be more advisable.

2) If its DPC what waterproof would work best? What brand and what name.

3) Can the bricks be contaminated with salts? if so what remedy can I use? I believe damp companies use calcium sulphate. Can i use something similar which i can buy from wicks or something similar online?
Alos how long should I live the bricks to dry or can i use something to speed it up like immudifer or heatgun or something similar?

4) I been told I need waterproofing and soverign k11 is the best to use to stop water seeping through, but its ridiculously expensive. ANy alternative?

5) what plaster is best used after DPC or Tanking? is there any alternative to solverign products?

6) is it worth while having a vent put up to prevent the damp from reappearing?

THank you

Sponsored Links

Architects Journal 2009:
“Rising damp is as rare as rocking horse s**t!!”
Elaine Blackett-Ord, Conservation Architects, Cumbria: also chair of the Register of Architects Accredited in Building Conservation

Architects Journal 2009:
“Stephen Boniface, former chairman of the construction arm of the Royal
Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), has told the Institute’s 40,000 members that ‘true rising damp’ is a myth and chemically injected damp proof courses (DPC) are “a complete waste of money”.

“Rising Damp is a figment of building surveyors imagination – it doesn’t exist!”
Peter Ward, Heritage House Builders, Shropshire

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back