DPC and engineering bricks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noting that engineering bricks are used in damp resisting situations and also used as a rigid DPC, if a wall of a house, actually the whole house, is built of engineering bricks is an additional DPC required?

I've got a house built like this and can't see a DPC. Should I be worried. :eek:

There isn't any rising damp though. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
i have had to inject quite a few times into these types of bricks,on high pressure but it goes in.

Sponsored Links
1. are your walls solid or cavity?

2. why is this an issue?

3. some uk areas often used a facing, blue brick that resembled, but is not an engineerining brick. There's also a blue glazed terra cotta brick, but i doubt that a whole domestic residence would be faced with them.

4. for info: dont now, or in future, allow pressure injection in your brickwork, esp. blue brick, it doesn't work and it looks terrible.

Engineers are not a suitable DPC
Don't know who's right and who's wrong here, but lots of properties have been built with a few courses of engineering brick as the sole DPC.

It does occur to me though, what is to stop damp wicking through the mortar, even if the engineering bricks are impenetrable? I guess a additive could be used these days but could mortar be made waterproof a hundred years ago? Or does the damp not penetrate?

There's no such thing as rising damp anyway. So I wouldn't worry.

Don't know who's right and who's wrong here, but lots of properties have been built with a few courses of engineering brick as the sole DPC.

And after 20 or so years they get saturated and the damp appears

There's no such thing as rising damp anyway. So I wouldn't worry.

and yet again i will ask the question,
if rising damp doesnt exist and never has,then why oh why do they sell dpc material etc.
because surely if this is the case then hey we can build walls or install concrete floors etc without any dpm .

It's all irrelevant anyway as a closer inspection has revealed a proper DPC is included.

Forget it guys...I'm no longer interested! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back