Do I need a Building Notice or Full Application?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am knocking out a structural internal wall (to make an open plan kitchen diner) and also knocking out two chimney breasts internally.

I cannot find any guidance on whether I could satisfy building regs by only completing a building notice or whether I would need to do a full notice. So please advise.

Also on a building notice it keeps mentioning scaled drawings, but for a wall to be removed etc would I need those?

Help!

Sponsored Links
Depending on the work involved you may need to employ a structural engineer who would do some calcs/sketches to satisfy Building Control and size the beam(s) etc for you. Or are you gonna just have a guess at what you need to do?

Can't really say any more as you've not said exactly what you're doing.

For this type of work, a building notice is normally the most appropriate

You wont need any drawings or sketches.

Birmingham wont need any engineers calcs for beams supporting normal loads up to about 3.5-4m, but you need to make sure that the beam is suitable. They will probably want calcs for the chimney supports

The Party Wall Act may apply. You should also check with or advise any neighbour sharing the party wall to see if they have done the same thing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back