Do I need a cill on a composite door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a low threshold composite door.
Should it be fitted onto of a cill unit?
Or can it just be installed directly into the opening of the brickwork.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3821.jpg
    IMG_3821.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
The cill normally protects the joint between door and wall. Without a cill, you might get water ingress at that joint. If the door is protected from weather, then you can get away without a cill.

It all depends on where its going to be honest. You may need a cill to create enough clearance as the door opens , it may be needed to cover a cavity that the wheelchair threshold won't cover on its on. If going on to something solid, like an existing solid concrete cill then providing water can drain off away from the building then no you don't have to ... however if you need to drain water away from the building you would be best advised to put one in so it protrudes over the existing threshold and water can ' drip'away.
There are many reasons to use a cill , and many where its not needed. Without more info ( eg a picture of where its going ) then we are guessing in all honesty

Thanks both for the replies.
The cill would not serve any purpose other than to protect the entrance from water ingress.
The doorway is not protected from the weather.
I could potentially sit the window on a beads of sealant..
Pictures attached.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yep agree with Crank... that definetly needs a cill, open cavity , nothing to take water away from the brickwork...cill everytime

Thanks for the input and confirmation. I was heading towards the cill options but the confirmation is always good.
Thanks chaps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back